Vintage Finnish Snow Smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
A Finnish online surplus store has obtained 15 vintage Finnish snow smocks made in 1971 and are selling them 10 € each. I believe these are made using a pattern created in the 1950s. The fabric seem to be natural linen or linen-cotton blend twill. The only size available is European size 52 or L:

Chest circumference = c. 140 cm
Sleeve length = c. 64 cm
Shoulder width (seam to seam) = c. 62 cm
Length without the hood = c. 86 cm

https://www.supernova.fi/product/3807/sa-lumipuvun-takki-uudenveroinen

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I can try to organise a group buy, if there's enough people interested of buying one or several of these smocks. However, the postage from Finland to the U.K. would add up to 10 € to the price. Please send me a private message if you're interested.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I can try to organise a group buy, if there's enough people interested of buying one or several of these smocks. However, the postage from Finland to the U.K. would add up to 10 € to the price. These send me a private message if you're interested.

Nice one Marrti. They looks like a better material than the newer swedish snow parkas.
Like a canvas/tight cotton weave from the seventies.

All in one size, size 42" chest. But Im guessing they come rather large sized being arctic parkas. I take a 44" normally.

I'd take one.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Based on the measurements provided by the dealer, size 52/L probably means you can fit your normal 52/L clothes beneath the smock.

Yeh, they do look great. They look like the swedish snow parka, but the cotton canvas looks a lot better on these.

For Under a Tenner, I'll may as well take one. With a bit of modding, they should come out real nice.

Anyone else in?

Thanks for offering to do this Martti

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Yeh, they do look great. They look like the swedish snow parka, but the cotton canvas looks a lot better on these.

For Under a Tenner, I'll may as well take one. With a bit of modding, they should come out real nice.

Anyone else in?

Thanks for offering to do this Martti

At that price, it would be rude not to. Yes, I'm in for one and thank you, Martti, for offering to arrange a group buy.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
If you wish to participate to the group buy, please send a personal message to me within 24 hours of this message.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
The Swedish ones can be modified to look like this. I nearly bought one last week to do just that, but i have enough projects on the go at the moment. maybe grab one later.

I wonder how the Finnish ones compare to the Swedish ones. I do like how this guy has modded his, looks big enough to wear a wool bush shirt underneath.

[video=youtube;X--GCWRN0IA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X--GCWRN0IA[/video]

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Nice one Marrti. They looks like a better material than the newer swedish snow parkas.
Like a canvas/tight cotton weave from the seventies.

All in one size, size 42" chest. But Im guessing they come rather large sized being arctic parkas. I take a 44" normally.

I'd take one.
Thought they came in a 140cm = 55" chest ?

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hi Martti, or anyone for that matter, could someone add some pics of the smocks, the ones in the link are a bit on the small side and dont go onto much detail.

I've did a search on Google images but not sure if the ones they are showing in the images are new/old Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Russian etc.

Cheers.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Hi Martti, or anyone for that matter, could someone add some pics of the smocks, the ones in the link are a bit on the small side and dont go onto much detail.

These are quite rare items, so unfortunately there are no additional photographs available as far as I can see. I have yet to order one, so I can't take any photographs yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE