Viking Ship buried beneath a pub on the Wirral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
(I'm posting this on Edged Tools because there is a little bit in one of the links below on paleolithic tools - cutting stone tools)

My family is from Port Sunlight, Wirral and I just came across this interesting story about archaeologists finding a Viking Ship buried beneath a pub on the Wirral: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/6986986.stm

Thought it was very interesting, and dug up (as they say) a couple of interesting links about prehistoric Merseyside, with stone tools discovered etc... thought it was very interesting:

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/archaeology/fieldarchaeology/meols.asp

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/archaeology/fieldarchaeology/prehistmrsy.asp

Cheers,

Mungo

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I heard the radio segment about this, one of the original workmen told his son, when they found it they were told to cover it up before the archeologists found out..

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Were those Saxon's wearing 'Ye Olde Shell Suit' with Reebok sandals, and curly hair mit 'tache? Did they ask you to join them in a redition of 'Long Boat across the Mersey'?:D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I heard the radio segment about this, one of the original workmen told his son, when they found it they were told to cover it up before the archeologists found out..

In retrospect this is probabley a good thing as they will discover so much more with modern forensic scientific archeaology methods that werent avaiable in the 1930's. Information that can be obtained now would of ben forever lost back then. It will be interesting to find out if it was built in denmark or sweden or even here in the uk, and if theres anything else with it (tools, pots, gold silver human remain's etc)

What I don't understand is why would the Vikings settle all the way over on the Wirral (unless it was for the salt etc...)? Wouldn't the eastern side of the UK be a little more convenient? Unless of course they'd already settled there... I don't know my UK history really. I'm a Canadian raised boy...

Cheers,

Mungo

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
bet it turns out to be on bricks with the sails missing.

Well, round here they would have ragged the nipples off it up and down the river at about 3 in the morning, then crashed it, set fire to it, then buggered off in the 'pool' viking long boat,normally used for getaways,no danegeld,no insurance and none of the oarsmen would have had a licence either.
Actually that might explain these 'viking funerals':lmao:

Oh lordy!
kind regards
R.B.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Most northmen settlement tends to be on the east, witness the number of place names ending in "by"-grimsby, skidby, thornaby, etc in East yorkshire/lincolnshire/parts of east anglia. But they had a parliament on the Isle of man which is on the west coast tynwald they went to and from Ireland I think, those longboat's were so versatile, cross the north sea then sail up the tees or the humber to get inland and settle into farmland etc.
My surname "Skipsey", means place of ships or shipyard in old norse

http://www.iomguide.com/government.php

A bit about viking place names

http://www.viking.no/e/england/e-pl-england.htm

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
It is not so much about UK history as it is about my ancestors what appears sometimes to be a very random "Hey, lets go over there..." :lmao:
In my eyes the find is great, it is not often these things just pops out of the ground... belev me... :D

What I don't understand is why would the Vikings settle all the way over on the Wirral (unless it was for the salt etc...)? Wouldn't the eastern side of the UK be a little more convenient? Unless of course they'd already settled there... I don't know my UK history really. I'm a Canadian raised boy...

Cheers,

Mungo

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Cheers,

Mungo

As you say; it probably was more convenient and maybe got a bit crowded, so off goes big Kev and his horny helmeted( that's helmets with horns on) mates to kick the diddles, initially out of geordies, then jocks of several flavours, finally landing up over there and thinking;'this'll do me'.;)
R.B.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The genetic project "Blood of the Vikings" indicated that the East coast settlement was probably Danish while the Norwegian settlement spread down from Shetland and the Orkneys through the Hebredies, Man, Ireland and Cumbria.

The strongest Norwegian genetic trace was just South of Penrith a few miles from my own family origins by coincidence.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tax....Ah I remember that......We used to call it Danegeld and take it from the Saxons
Other than round here of course Wayland. I rather fancy Wessex gave the Danes what we Saxons like to refer to as "a good hiding" ;)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE