Video of me hand carving a western red cedar bowl.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
thank you everyone for the kind words. it take me alot of time to make these things and alot of time to do the videos. and people enjoying them makes it worth it. please also check out my other videos on my channel if you have not already, some quite cool stuff on there.

thanks again, kris

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have been exploring the usefulness of the carving tools of the Pacific Northwest native people. Crooked knives, elbow adze and D-adze.
Of course, where I live, western red cedar is the major tree of commerce. So, I'm terribly baised in favor of what you carved.
Soon, I expect to have 12"-24" x 36"-48" pieces of cottonwood. I have plenty of 24" x 12" x 8" shake blocks of WRC to play with.

Question, sir: What are your thoughts on the shape of the adze blade profile? Lip, gutter, blade?
I know from experience that a feast-dish is a chore to produce and a tedious work at best.

BTW, your video, even with no sound, is the best instructional vid that I have ever seen for the pencil planning of the
resulting shape. I have several different hearing challenges such that your visual presentation was a relief to follow.

overclocker_kris, that was a fun video to watch!

Robson Valley, given your interest you probably know the book, Cedar: Tree of Life to the Northwest Coast Indians by Hilary Stewart. But I thought I'd mention it just in case. I love her drawings and detailed descriptions of how cedar was used by First Nations people.

- Woodsorrel

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
I have been exploring the usefulness of the carving tools of the Pacific Northwest native people. Crooked knives, elbow adze and D-adze.
Of course, where I live, western red cedar is the major tree of commerce. So, I'm terribly baised in favor of what you carved.
Soon, I expect to have 12"-24" x 36"-48" pieces of cottonwood. I have plenty of 24" x 12" x 8" shake blocks of WRC to play with.

Question, sir: What are your thoughts on the shape of the adze blade profile? Lip, gutter, blade?
I know from experience that a feast-dish is a chore to produce and a tedious work at best.

BTW, your video, even with no sound, is the best instructional vid that I have ever seen for the pencil planning of the
resulting shape. I have several different hearing challenges such that your visual presentation was a relief to follow.

thanks, im glad you found the video informative, with regards to the adze i only have one, its the gransfors bruks bowl adze, it has a very sharp curve on it and to be honest at first i just really hit that wood hard with it and the chip fly. when i need something with more sweep i go to the bent gouge. im an advocate of not having to many tools. the more you have the more you have to keep sharp. and i also find that having less tools means you learn the tool better.

kris

if you enjoy the videos please subscribe to the channel. there will be lots more carving, bender building, timber framing and general outdoor fun.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OC_kris: another question, possibly of style or design.
In your vid, the bark side becomes the void, the topside, of the bowl.
I've seen bowls done the other way, the bark side is the base/outside/bottom.

Is there a technical reason for your choice. . . . or the aesthetics of the finished form?
I have 2 x 24" WRC shake blocks just waiting for mallet and froe.
Thanks

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
OC_kris: another question, possibly of style or design.
In your vid, the bark side becomes the void, the topside, of the bowl.
I've seen bowls done the other way, the bark side is the base/outside/bottom.

Is there a technical reason for your choice. . . . or the aesthetics of the finished form?
I have 2 x 24" WRC shake blocks just waiting for mallet and froe.

sorry for the late reply. no real reason other than the form the the bowl ends up in, i like the slopping down of the bowl sides towards the middle. i think it give a real natural hand carved look. plus you almost have to use hand tools to do it, and i think that adds to it as well

but you can start the other way round so the middle of the split wood becomes the top but you end up with a more square bowl. it just depends what you want to make really. i do both, but i like the elegant form doing it this way best.

kris
Thanks

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
as requested, some pictures of the bowl horse i was using in the video. i got the idea from david fisher bowls.

here are some pictures for you, the staining is from the tannin in the wood when water gets on it, i will clean it up one day but it functions perfectly. it took me about a day to make. i used a chainsaw to cut out the slot in the middle and shape the log. the rest was carved with an axe, i used a auger bit to do the mortices and a chisel to square them off. the foot pedal is sitting on to oak pegs in a mortice a tenon.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks kris. Now I'm really curious to make one of each orientation.

Your bowl horse: mass is stability. I will not start a build of my own until I find the log.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE