Video of me hand carving a western red cedar bowl.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice vid and the carved bowl looks great :) ta for posting it has made my time waiting for herself to get home so we can go vote pass interestingly. :D
That is a serious dumb head beast you have too btw.
Rob.

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I actually saw this on youtube yesterday before I saw your post here.

Very nice bowl, I made a few similar versions albeit on a smaller scale.

I must say I like both of your carving benches especially the one with the work clamp in it. I cant recall the proper name for them but have seen them on anvils, very useful.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
I actually saw this on youtube yesterday before I saw your post here.

Very nice bowl, I made a few similar versions albeit on a smaller scale.

I must say I like both of your carving benches especially the one with the work clamp in it. I cant recall the proper name for them but have seen them on anvils, very useful.

do you mean the bench or the horse? on the bench i was using some homamde holdfasts, i just bent some bar and hammered the ends flat after heating them up.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Good job, like it a lot and good to see the process too.

It's in the nature of the cedar to be a bit fibrous and tear a bit but on the other hand it's a bit softer than some so easier to work with the tools. Nothing wrong with a bit of sanding after, an alternative might have been some scraper work on it, but I suspect you would still have needed some sanding.

I've only done lathe work to date but fancy trying something along those lines, might cheat and use an arbotech for most of the hollowing though !

Cheers, Paul

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Very soothing vid to watch and great character to the bowl, was the boiled oil you used linseed?

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
do you mean the bench or the horse? on the bench i was using some homamde holdfasts, i just bent some bar and hammered the ends flat after heating them up.

Holdfast was the word I was looking for. Quite like both the bench and the horse, I was lucky enough to get a 2.5 foot diameter round of a neighbours pine tree when he cut it down, great as a carving block and rock solid but not very mobile and doesn't lend itself to things like clamps or holdfasts.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
Holdfast was the word I was looking for. Quite like both the bench and the horse, I was lucky enough to get a 2.5 foot diameter round of a neighbours pine tree when he cut it down, great as a carving block and rock solid but not very mobile and doesn't lend itself to things like clamps or holdfasts.

Holdfasts are great and easy to make yourself. because if you buy them they are quite expensive. i might do a video on making some one day, i could do with some more. but bigger ones.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
hi, yes it was linseed i like the way linseed oil brings out the grain of darker heartwood.

I love the look of the linseed when it cures into the wood, I'm sure you are aware of this but i'll say it for others like myself who may be new to carving, if you use boiled linseed oil you can not use your items for food use due to the heavy metal driers it is poisonous and the heavy metals can leach from the surface, if an item is for food use you can still use linseed oil but it must be the raw linseed oil.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
I love the look of the linseed when it cures into the wood, I'm sure you are aware of this but i'll say it for others like myself who may be new to carving, if you use boiled linseed oil you can not use your items for food use due to the heavy metal driers it is poisonous and the heavy metals can leach from the surface, if an item is for food use you can still use linseed oil but it must be the raw linseed oil.

yeah, this bowl was made for decoration mostly. it might end up as the place i empty my pockets when i get in in the evening. for food stuff i use walnut oil.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Same here walnut oil (and beeswax) is my go to for anything for myself but when i make anything for anyone else i use raw linseed oil incase they have nut allergies

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE