Vets beds as a thermal layer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
When I got home last night there were a load of these hanging on the line.
hava3e9a.jpg

They are vets beds used for the dogs. I thought they might be useful as a thermal layer in a hammock.
So I thought I'd pack a few things and go and try it out. I also thought I'd take my poncho as a bit of a wind break, my new honey stove, bought here from Bare Thrills, and a £1 head torch from Poundland , a very temporary replacement for my lost petzl.
uzu6ubam.jpg

All packed up nice and small in an old shoulder bag.
8epegype.jpg

It was a lovely clear night with the moon casting long shadows and the stars were bright.
I set up the poncho to keep the wind off giving me a view over an open field.
adydu6e6.jpg

Made a nice hot chocolate. The Honey Stove was brilliant.
uzusu3ud.jpg

edajuvas.jpg

The head torch worked really well, it did its job, and for £1 I can't grumble.
The vets bed however didn't work well. It offered a little bit of protection but not as good as a mat. I woke up about 1.15am feeling cold on the pressure points. I was just sleeping in my clothes and was quite toasty but with no protection underneath I knew the night ahead was going to be restless especially as the wind was blowing harder so I decided to pack up and walk back. It was a beautiful night and certainly not wasted. The experiment didn't work but it was nice trying . Walking home it dawned on me why. Vets beds are designed to let wet through if a dog wee's on it. So i guess they are very permeable which is probably why it offered very little insulation.
I've now got my eye on this sheepskin rug. I wonder what that will be like?
vepe3y7u.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE