Very old canvas tent that needs waterproofing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Right I've just given the whole thing a coat of Fabsil. Really good job I got the 2.5L can as I've just used the better part of 2L on it, it just sucked it in.

I'll give it a test tomorrow once it's dry.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Good luck, hope it works out. It looks like a good bit of kit, especially nice when there's a family history to it as well.

The support poles look very sturdy.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Update: As it's peeing it down outside I just went out and had a look inside the tent. Bone dry! I was going to put it down today but as this rain looks set to stay for a while I'll leave it up till it's dry.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
Well it's good to know that kit like this is still being appreciated such a long time after it ws new. it's a testament to the makers and to scouting for keeping the gear in such good condition. VIVA LA SCOUTS!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
To right! I was in beavers, cubs and scouts and loved it all the way through. I've had some interesting camps in my time in the scouts, like one camp in particular, 8 of us in a 4 man tent, one lad was doing the cooking and nearly burn down everything (4 gas rings on a tray of 1" veg oil means melting fire blankets), the best bit of that camp was finding out that there were 100's of girl guides in the next field. Ah great days!

As I mentioned in my #8 post, looking and feeling it, makes me wonder how much of todays camping gear will be around in 60 years.

It's also definitely waterproof now. It's been peeing it down most of yesterday and all of today. Bone dry inside. I went over all the stitching again after it was dry from the first coat as thats the main places it would of leaked. I ended up using all of the 2.5L tin of Fabsil on it. It's great stuff, the water just rolls off. I'm going to have to get some more and use it on everything else that needs treating.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Seriously, give the Thompsons Waterseal a try. It works out drastically cheaper than fabsil, and as far as i can tell, it's the same stuff. I used it on a 15 year old canvas hood on my land rover. Prior to treatment it leaked like a sieve, to the extent that i had to wear waterproofs when driving in the rain. After treatment, i have never had any leak. And that's with it sitting outside in the rain (and sun) for months on end. Not much more of a test than that!

Great tent that one you have! So much more charachter than most.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
definately amon! finding girl guides or young leaders camping in the next field or the next woodland clearing is always a bonus. fingers crossed for some lady material at summer camp this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE