Very Cheap Leather Gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've just got some of these Swedish leather gloves off Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-...430?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c479c79d6

Fantastic, unused condition. Although they are labelled 1966, they feel as though the leather was peeled of the cow just the other day.

The downside? They're big. I usually take a size 10 glove, and I can get away with wearing them as they are, but I'll be able to fit a thin liner underneath. If your hands are smaller, you'll have to wear them with a thicker liner glove.

No connection etc.

Cheers, Michael.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I got a pair as well - I wouldn't say they are that big. I'm usually a medium/large, and they fit fine apart from the thumb, which has twice as much material than it actually needs, but not going to complain for the price.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
can often be found discarded in building-site skips and dumpsters - last haul 8 pairs of all-leather & lined - just needed cool-washed & slowly dried, as dirty but unworn - happy skip-diving!
Q for all you wordsmiths, logicians, and philosophers:
is skip-diving in urban areas urbancraft?
survival?
or if used for bushcraft, bushcraft???

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
Just wondering if anyone has had a go at softening these (or leather in general) a bit. Couple of methods online - coconut oil, rubbing alcohol then vaseline - and I'm not sure which to go for.

Any advice gratefully received.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I think the swedish ones are meant to be worn with a thin inner glove, hence the size.

I bought a pair of Cutter work gloves for £4 yesterday. Unlined goatskin, but as thy're white I had to dye them so as not to look like Mario.

I still miss my Luftwaffe gloves...

Z

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Just wondering if anyone has had a go at softening these (or leather in general) a bit. Couple of methods online - coconut oil, rubbing alcohol then vaseline - and I'm not sure which to go for.

Any advice gratefully received.

I have only ever used two products to take care of my leather; Neatsfoots oil and Lanolised leather soap.
I use the oil for softening and conditioning where I can get access to the underside of the leather, and I use the leather soap for cleaning and nourishing the top part of the leather.
If the leather is really dirty, then I use a baby wipe to get most of the carp off first, before using either of the above products. Never had any issues.

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
I have only ever used two products to take care of my leather; Neatsfoots oil and Lanolised leather soap.
I use the oil for softening and conditioning where I can get access to the underside of the leather, and I use the leather soap for cleaning and nourishing the top part of the leather.
If the leather is really dirty, then I use a baby wipe to get most of the carp off first, before using either of the above products. Never had any issues.

Cheers Coldfeet - I'll try getting my hands on some of those and take it from there.

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
I think the swedish ones are meant to be worn with a thin inner glove, hence the size.

I bought a pair of Cutter work gloves for £4 yesterday. Unlined goatskin, but as thy're white I had to dye them so as not to look like Mario.

I still miss my Luftwaffe gloves...

Z

Yeah - I've got some removable fleece liners from some old ski gloves that work great underneath.

Have you got the bushy 'tash to go with them white gloves?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I buy Tegera 17 gloves. They're just over a fiver brand new, heat & cut proof & really rugged. Had to throw out a pair after about two years of constant use. They're quite warm too. Someone on here recommended them & I've stockpiled a few pairs now in case I lose them (which I did recently, although found them after a fortnight in the field & they were fine - if anything a little cleaner!)

I get them from Cromwells but other places online sell them cheap too

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I buy Tegera 17 gloves. They're just over a fiver brand new, heat & cut proof & really rugged. Had to throw out a pair after about two years of constant use. They're quite warm too. Someone on here recommended them & I've stockpiled a few pairs now in case I lose them (which I did recently, although found them after a fortnight in the field & they were fine - if anything a little cleaner!)

I get them from Cromwells but other places online sell them cheap too

Got a pair of these on this recommendation; ordered Sunday night, delivered today for way less than a tenner.............Just what I've been looking for, thanks for the heads up :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Got a pair of these on this recommendation; ordered Sunday night, delivered today for way less than a tenner.............Just what I've been looking for, thanks for the heads up :)

Only one pair? They are a bit stiff from new but once worn in they're very comfortable & rugged. The way I've been championing them on different forums you'd think I was on commission but just a very satisfied user. Was in B&Q the other day and their work gloves were considerably more expensive and not as good. I keep a pair in my bushcraft bag - for playing with fire they're supreme

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Only one pair on the first order; glove sizing has always been a nightmare for me but these are spot on.......I've ordered three more pairs this afternoon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE