Ventus g1000 GPS Watch with wireless heart rate monitor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Hi all.

A friend of mine has Kindly let me have a play with his GPS watch.

As i probably won't be using the heart rate monitor, I'll just stick to the GPS part lol.

First impressions it seems a nice little Gizmo.

spa02960.jpg

I went for a little walk round the estate i live on, setting waypoints along the way, Having my home set as base camp.

Getting a GPS fix once it's enabled takes seconds. I'm hoping to go for a longer walk this weekend to do a more decent review with pictures.

In Navigation mode it has :-

Waypoint Navigation with arrow pointer and distance indications, New waypoints saved at the push of a button, waypoints can also be saved automatically by the watch.

A total of 10 routes, with 99 waypoints per route can be stored.

3 navigation modes, waypoint, forward and backward.

spa0295r.jpg

Very easy to set up on the p.c. Doesn't come with any bundled software, You have to download it from their website, Works with Google earth along side its own software. Adding waypoints from the p.c. to the watch takes seconds.

The price tag puts me off a little at £80. From Maplins ( no affiliation etc )

Cheers andy

Last edited:

zslot

Jan 31, 2011
london
Can I ask what was your practice with it as I would like to buy one but I cant find any review. Maplin selling now discountinued product for 69.
A few important thing I would like t know
1. How quick was the cold or the hot start?
2. Really waterproof for snorkeling, swimming?
3. Battery life, charging time?
4. how stable the reception

thanks in advance

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Can I ask what was your practice with it as I would like to buy one but I cant find any review. Maplin selling now discountinued product for 69.
A few important thing I would like t know
1. How quick was the cold or the hot start?
2. Really waterproof for snorkeling, swimming?
3. Battery life, charging time?

4. how stable the reception

thanks in advance

Hi zslot.

After enabling the g.p.s. function, It takes literally seconds to Fix your Position and give you your Lat/Long.

It says in the manual that it's water resistant to 30 metres, As i've not been snorkeling or swimming with it on i can't rate it's performance in that respect.

Battery life fully charged (which you can check via the watch) says you have 8 Hours usage when fully charged.

I've used it in the local woods near to where i live ( a good 3-4 Hours walk ) and its still had a good 6-7 hours charge according to the watch.

As for Charging times, I leave it on charge overnight, If i'm off out the following day.
Reception is Very good, i've never lost the g.p.s signal yet when out and about.

Here's a link to their Website. Hope it help's

http://www.ventusdesign.com/products/g1000-ventus-gps-watch-with-heart-rate-monitor/

No affiliation etc.

Cheers Lucan

:)

zslot

Jan 31, 2011
london
Thanks. I decided to buy it and I am very happy with it. Unbeliavable it can get fix GPS inside my flat under 1 min. I never saw this before. The next project find some solar charger to charge.

But few very small bit missing, like no "alarm on" sign on the clock page or navigation/traning started sign. Or I have to set the timer's starting time in the menu not possible with buttons on timer page.

I got an reply from customer support It has an MTK chipset and 30m depth limit is real.

If somebody interested, now 64.99 in maplin if you can find one bec discontinued

zslot

Jan 31, 2011
london
Hi Lucan

I just tried today, and I cant understand how is it working exactly.
1. If I press start/stop in workout mode, i did start navigation mode too? Just bec I can start in workout mode and can stop in navigation.
2. What exactly the reset does? I thought reset saves the tracklog I recorded but I did two workouts and reset twice and the first one disapeared.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE