Venturing out in the bad weather!

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Just thinking of the forthcoming trip to the lakes and the inlaws, now with snow and strong winds it got me thinking (ouch). Imagine for a minute, you have planned to go out for a walk of around 10 miles through woodland and country roads/public footpaths etc. The weather is dull and the forecast is possible snow/rain. Do you still go taking with you the food/stove clothing etc or do you stay put indoors not wanting to risk getting caught stuck miles from home?

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Just thinking of the forthcoming trip to the lakes and the inlaws, now with snow and strong winds it got me thinking (ouch). Imagine for a minute, you have planned to go out for a walk of around 10 miles through woodland and country roads/public footpaths etc. The weather is dull and the forecast is possible snow/rain. Do you still go taking with you the food/stove clothing etc or do you stay put indoors not wanting to risk getting caught stuck miles from home?

Go for the walk, ensure mobile has a full charge so the Mrs. can come and pick you up from the nearest pub to your location, should you feel like stopping. It's the Lakes afterall... not Siberia ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I would and often do (when we have snow).

I tend to stick to well trodden routes though and knowing your limits is key. Of course it's possible to get into bother, especially if you're out on your own and you twist an ankle for example.

Winter walking gives you some of the best experiences I've found, get yourself out there but stay safe.

And remember to take some piccies :)

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Definitely go. :red:

If we all stayed at home when there was the possibility of bad weather, then we would be at home most of the time.

Like has already been said, take a few extras just in case and make sure someone knows your route and expected return time just to be safe.

Winter walking is great fun. You get that feeling that everything is waiting for the right moment to burst out in spring, there is a sense of antisipation in the air and you won't get the same feeling sitting at home by the fire watching the telly. :campfire:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yup, I'd go as well.
Hasn't stopped me in the past, and wouldn't stop me now.
As someone else said - this isn't Siberia.
Make sure you wear appropriate clothing, have your phone with you and...well, enjoy the weather!

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I know how you feel, I am off to the lakes this weekend. I hope I have all the right kit and that the weather aint too harsh on me. Everydays a schoold day as they say.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Go for your walk and enjoy it. The great thing about the Lakes is that there is a network of paths that provide lots of options.
If it turns out that the weather is cold, clear and perfect, get out on the tops and look at all of the little people down below.
If it's a bit iffy, take an interesting route around the valley that you're in.
If it's snowing like mad and blowing a hooley, stick to roads and paths that you know, but still go out. Only you know when you're out of your comfort zone, but as long as you're certain of making your way back you'll be fine.
A two mile walk full of small but interesting things can be as rewarding as a twenty mile walk with one amazing view.
Where are you staying BTW?

Cheers, Michael.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Walking in this kind of weather is more invigorating than anything. Dress well, take a mobile, enjoy. I took my toddlers out for a picnic in the snow at around -1 last Winter and they loved it. There's some quote about the wrong weather or the wrong clothes. Look it up and tell the inlaws!
And Cumbrian's point about short walks is a very good one too.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Take all the right gear, let someone know where you are going and when you are due back (remember to tell them you are back too:rolleyes:)

Stay within your own ability level and enjoy - walking in the snow, can't wait to get out myself!

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE