ventile smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
3.JPG

This is my first attempt at making a ventile smock trying to stay away from army pattern smocks and keeping it simple and easy to make with minimun seams.1. two big front pockets.2. drawcord hem &hood.3.ajustable cuffs. 4.sleeves big to roll up.

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Good job; that looks good mate. Did you use a commercial pattern? If so, which? if not, did you copy an existing garment? It looks like the left and right shoulder yolk and sleeve are all one piece, stitched along the underarm. Is this right? There is no rear view, so is the back one piece of material? I made something similar in the 90s, based on the now defunct Survival Aids' own ventile windshirt and it has lasted for years of travelling, being rugged, practical and effective,including a brief foray to the top of Kilimanjaro, which is why it looks pretty frayed now and needs replacing. Enjoy yours too!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
No commercial pattern . I used my swanny bush shirt and a picture of a ww2 german cam smock and made my own pattern. I bought 2.5 mtrs by 60in wide of seconds cloth . This was folded in half and cut into a T shape. The leftover cloth was used to make the arms longer ,the hood ,the backs of pockets and the cuff tabs. The front was cut to sew in zips and hood,then the pocket backs,arm extensions and cuff tabs. The smock was then turned right side out to sew up the body and under the arms.

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
Cheers for the gen. That's a lot simpler than commercial patterns I have used before and I will follow your example I think for my next project. I have been toying with the idea of a double skinned ventile version of the 'swanny' bush shirt, reversible green to orange, and will take some pix of the project.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Yes, pretty and simple. Well done.
This enhances my optimism for making a ventile coverall.
And a question: Some people say that ventile trousers are not as good as
jackets. Correct?
And did you get the ventile directly from the Talbot Weaving?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
topknot,

Awsome work - really nice. Personally I would have preferred a through zip, but thats no ctiticism, just my preference. Would it be rude to ask how much the materials for such a project would cost (roughly)

Red

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Good stuff.

Been thinking of making a Ventile piece myself, very helpful in deciding what sort of thing I want to get together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE