Venison help please

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I have a piece of venison which has been in the freezer for a week, I am defrosting it. But only ever cooked it once from fresh. Do I leave the white fatty bit on the joint or remve it before roasting? and does it need marinading overnight first?

I'm an amateur help?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have a piece of venison which has been in the freezer for a week, I am defrosting it. But only ever cooked it once from fresh. Do I leave the white fatty bit on the joint or remve it before roasting? and does it need marinading overnight first?

I'm an amateur help?
what cut is it? if it's a haunch, then leave the fat on, if it's a shoulder then no, but cook it really slowly (having marinated it overnight in a good ish red wine with a few bay leafs, some whole pepper corms and a head of garlic (just cut in half).
Same with a flank, long slow cooking on a low heat, (in a casserole dish with a lid)

bearbait

See if you can get hold of a copy of The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Not any particular meat-specific but loads of good information about meat, joints and recipes. Assumes a regular oven. I've done some killer 4/5 year old mutton on a number of occasions based on his suggestions, and some mighty fine beef joints and steaks. Getting your meat well hung where appropriate is a key (although that's a bit difficult when it's already frozen - unless 'twas well hung first!)

Fat keeps the meat moist during cooking and imparts flavour. Some fat is good to eat in its own right. Rendered fat can also be used for cooking, amongst other things: a neighbouring farmer uses a little goose grease on his hands when working out of doors in the winter.

You can always separate the fat from the cooking juices/marinade at the end of the cooking period according to how rich you like your gravy.

I always think a bit of jam (e.g. damson, crab apple) or fruit chutney goes very well with meat, particularly cold meat.

Enjoy your venison...

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Ah, just roast it slow and make sure to baste it.

Juniper berries, salt, pepper crushed it a mortar and pestle and rubbed in add a nice flavour, I seal the outside by rolling in a hot pan before putting in the oven. Essentially I treat mine much like beef. A meat thermometer helps to not overdo it.

I had vension steaks for tea tonight, with chips and peas, very nice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE