Velcro - pointless and unpleasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I agree that velcro has its uses but is far to overused for cheapness.

Worst invention... Stick on velcro! The velcro adheres better then the sticky adhesive thats supposed to hold it place!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
my latest winter coat has magnetic fasteners instead of velcro or press studs. it literally fasteners itself.

My god- how do you ever get out of the thing?! I have a vision of getting in at night, having an exhausting two hour battle to take it off, before giving up, and going to sleep in it. And then waking up in the morning finding you are stuck to the bedframe.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Worst invention... Stick on velcro!

Not so; the adhesive holds the two parts where you want them whilst you sew, staple or otherwise attach it more permanently. For all its faults velcro is superb for running repairs, esp. to closures, and a 6" strip of self-adhesive velcro tucked in the back of your huswife is a handy thing.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Dear bushcrafters. Velcro was invented by a swiss mountaineer, inventer & keen dog walker who, so it is said, on seeing burrs so well attached to his dog's fur after a walk in the hills, decided to examine them under a microscope, saw how it worked & set about trying to imitate it, after a little trial & error "Eureaka !" patented in 55 & has been with us ever since revolutionising fastenings,a design based on nature & made by a man who loved the great outdoors.................I think it's over used nowadays but it does have it's uses.

I preferred the explanation from "Men in Black", where they said that the story about the French guy inventing it was made up, as it was really a piece of alien technology adapted to human use.

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
Good thread! Recently bought Berghaus gaiters which fasten up with Velcro and am impressed on the two walks I've done so far (protected foot and ankle from snow) but my concern is with how durable Velcro is. Does it wear out over time and lose sticking power? I remember it did on the trainers I had as a kid. Perhaps I need to care for it somehow..

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Good thread! Recently bought Berghaus gaiters which fasten up with Velcro and am impressed on the two walks I've done so far (protected foot and ankle from snow) but my concern is with how durable Velcro is. Does it wear out over time and lose sticking power? I remember it did on the trainers I had as a kid. Perhaps I need to care for it somehow..

You can get a tool for cleaning velcro.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, a comb. I regularly have to shout at various sons who complain the storm flaps won't do up. The half a pound of jumper fluff, thread, bits of twig, hair, string etc they then remove tends to solve the problem.

atb

tom

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its dead handy for sticking a watch (minus its straps) onto a motorbike headstock.
Get off the bike? Pull the watch off the headstock and bung it in my back pocket.

Can't stand wearing watches anyway.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I hate the stuff but as already mentioned it does have it's (limited) uses. I hate the stuff on packs, pouches wallets etc. The only good place might be on the cuffs of jackets to pull the cuff closed with a velcro strap. What's wrong with straps, drawstrings and buckles on packs?

I once bought a rain jacket with a detachable hood held on with velcro. Biggest waste of money ever.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Manufacturers use Velcro because it is cheap and easy......

.....it....., wears out quite quickly.........

For those issued the new PCS uniform. the whole idea of velcro instead of buttons is flawed when cheap velcro is used instead.

......how durable Velcro is. Does it wear out over time and lose sticking power? I remember it did on the trainers I had as a kid. Perhaps I need to care for it somehow..

There's Velcro and then there's VELCRO. Like any other product, there's a vast difference in quality and durability from one manufacturer to another; and a corresponding difference in price.

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
Gosh that hook and loop tool is the same price as the gaiters. Cheers all the same; I reckon I'll try and borrow one, or a dog grooming comb. Probably more dog grooming combs around :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE