vegetarian

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dont they sex the eggs?

I read somewhere that there are people who can tell whether the egg will hatch a cock or a hen.

Dont they sex the eggs?

I read somewhere that there are people who can tell whether the egg will hatch a cock or a hen.

we eat 29million eggs a day in UK ( source Wikipedia) so thats 29million chickens at 1 egg per day in the inencive systems etc they get replaced after a year of production 99.999% will be killed as end of use so you need to have 58million eggs sexed per year to replace them with 50% binned as male (i dont think you can sex eggs) so these people need to sex (if they could) over 1million per week so the spare 29million get killed

even if you did do it at the egg stage the laying chickens are still killed with in a year as uneconomic even free range or organic will be replaced when un economic

ATB

Duncan

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
we eat 29million eggs a day in UK ( source Wikipedia) so thats 29million chickens at 1 egg per day in the inencive systems etc they get replaced after a year of production 99.999% will be killed as end of use so you need to have 58million eggs sexed per year to replace them with 50% binned as male (i dont think you can sex eggs) so these people need to sex (if they could) over 1million per week so the spare 29million get killed

even if you did do it at the egg stage the laying chickens are still killed with in a year as uneconomic even free range or organic will be replaced when un economic

ATB

Duncan

But as ickyan said earlier, the eggs we eat haven't been fertilised by a cockerel - well unless there is one kicking about. Wasn't there something on the tele once about using temperature controlled incubators to control the sex of some animals? Alligators or crocs spring to mind, but not too sure, it was ages ago I saw it. Something about making sure the temperature was at a certain temp at a certain stage of the development.. but then my mind may be playing tricks on me now..

Cheers,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's one of those weird ones. I'll clean it, prep it, cook it, but it's like it's not food.
I can't think of any other way to describe it. It's just not stuff I think of as edible. I even use seperate pots and utensils.
Logically I know it is food, but the smell of it cooking can totally kill my appetite.
I prefer to feed HWMBLT meat that was alive one minute and dead before the thought to flee entered it's head, but accept that our modern lives don't lend themselves to that for most folks.
I'm not anti meat eating, I am anti cruelty in the meat production.
Intensive farming makes for cheap food, but I'm of the impression that if meat's cheap something suffered for it.

Just to bring a kind of balance though, intensive agriculture and the predominance of the major grains, palm oil and soya, is every bit as damaging to the wildlife and environment, as the forest and jungle felling for grazing.

cheers,
Toddy

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I'm a vegetarian. I'm not strict; I eat fish, and duck. Well, they're nearly fish, aren't they? They're semi-submerged a lot of the time, they spend a lot of time in the water, they're virtually fish, really.

And pigs, cows, sheep, anything that lives near water, I'm not strict. I'm sort of like a post-modern vegetarian. I eat meat ironically.

Thankyou Bill Bailey! :D

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Been a veggie for 2 and half years now, no problem, but i do agree with the post earlier that its all well and good in a modern society but after doing my woodlore journeyman course i kind of realised that in "the real world" it would be almost impossible. Im not one of those veggies that lectures everyone on it, i believe each to there own and their own personal reasons should stay that way.

My one pet heat as a veggie is that when you meet new people and they find out you dont eat meat they always want an explanation of why your a veggie and i find it gets boring explaining time and time again.

Also my one weakness that i have is that i wont chuck any of my bushcraft leather knife sheaths, belts etc that i have, i know that doesnt marry up with my so called ethics but maybe one day i will be able to change to a nice hemp belt sheath...lol

What about the other veggies on here, do you still wear animal products like leather?

Col.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Don't forget, Hitler was a vegetarian. It's very unseemly to think so, but there he was.

Just goes to show, vegetarianism, not always a good thing. Can in some extreme cases lead to genocide!

:D

Seriously though, why ditch the leatherwork? By throwing that leather away and letting it rot in a landfill you won't have stopped animal suffering in any way at all. Just don't buy any more and your conscience is clear.

But as ickyan said earlier, the eggs we eat haven't been fertilised by a cockerel - well unless there is one kicking about. Wasn't there something on the tele once about using temperature controlled incubators to control the sex of some animals? Alligators or crocs spring to mind, but not too sure, it was ages ago I saw it. Something about making sure the temperature was at a certain temp at a certain stage of the development.. but then my mind may be playing tricks on me now..

Cheers,

no they are not but the point is the industry kills males as industrial waste to produce the females that do lay the eggs so if you eat eggs you are having birds killed to do it. same with dairy product some amphibians can be sex controled by temp chickens cant.

ATB

Duncan

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Yeah, thats the problem, just bought i lovely knife from one of the Sammi people on the recent BCUK Arctic course, apart from the blade i pretty much think that every other part of the knife/sheath came from reindeer..but im sure he said that it was left over parts, but then i cant speak Sammi so i guess i made that up.....

The reason that i ask if other veggies still use leather products etc is that i have found that harder to give up than the food, i have always loved a classic pair of leather walking boots and love natural materials, i guess that is something that im going to have to have a good think about, other wise im being a bit two faced about it...

Very good point about not throwing the products i have away, because then the animal will have died for nothing, i was also on a course once with a veggie who would only ever eat meat if he knew where and how it had been killed, ie if he trapped something himself and knew that it was killed for survival and not sport or fun then that was ok.

I didnt have a problem with that, although many people thought he wasnt really a veggie, me i think we get to hung up on labels and names, you should just do what you feel comfortable with....

All the best

Col...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
no they are not but the point is the industry kills males as industrial waste to produce the females that do lay the eggs so if you eat eggs you are having birds killed to do it. same with dairy product some amphibians can be sex controled by temp chickens cant.

ATB

Duncan

How far do we take it, do we say that cause we ate a carrot that a cow had to be removed from that field to allow the carrot to grow, therefore cause we ate that carrot we killed the cow...interesting.....over to you duncan LOL...

Col...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't forget, Hitler was a vegetarian. It's very unseemly to think so, but there he was.

Just goes to show, vegetarianism, not always a good thing. Can in some extreme cases lead to genocide!

:D

So were Plato, Plutarch and Pythagoras, George Bernard Shaw and Leonardo da Vinci. Byron, Gandhi, Spike Milligan and Albert Einstein were also vegetarian.
Seems it can lead to great things too :D

cheers,
Toddy

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Mary you missed my name from that list and i once helped an old lady across the road as well. You just dont get the credit for good deeds any more, the shame of it....

Col...

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
So were Plato, Plutarch and Pythagoras, George Bernard Shaw and Leonardo da Vinci. Byron, Gandhi, Spike Milligan and Albert Einstein were also vegetarian.
Seems it can lead to great things too :D

cheers,
Toddy

I'm glad you saw the funny side, it was a Bill Bailey quote again! :D

Col, I don't think the fellow was a veggie, more a very ethical meat eater. It's a shame more meat eaters don't have the same ethics.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i was veggie for a year just for fun really...

but i do like meat if we where not supposed to eat meat then why was it made so damn tasty..

on another note by humans eating animals we "allow" alot of them to exist how many chickens pigs cows sheep etc do you think would roam the fields if we didn't eat them? which kind of helps us preserve the gene pools.

also it would take alot of land we dont have to feed humans if we all ate plants..

i think its a lifestyle thing if you have have issues about something you have a great gift and thats a choice

i do eat all cuts of meat particularly offal to ensure i do my bit for maximising use of the animal. In an ideal world i would love to catch kill and eat my own prey...

to be honest there is no appartite in my stomach the only thing i dont eat is celery as i dont like the taste and its a waste of effort to eat with no reward. Recently i found out i was lactose intolerant too so i avoid dairy where possible (not always easy)

i love veg too and found it easy to be vegetarian for a year as i grow my own but i have no issues regarding what i am and at the end of the day we evolved to be omnivores

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I don't think I could ever give up meat...I don't find vegetables filling enough haha

I think a problem for vegetarian in a self reliance situation would be getting an appetite for meat...processing it would be a bit of a turn off but then eating it would be the biggest test before you would be starving...

Oh vegetablearianism :lmao:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Why do we feed cats tuna flavoured meat? I can guarantee a cat in Driffield never caught a tuna naturally! We eat many varied animals, but woe betide if it is a fluffy animal! I get grief for eating rabbits, and the people that give me grief aren't even vegetarian! Not sure what my point is, but there you go!

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
yeah but my point is that what you eat or dont eat is your own personal business and most veggies or ethical meat eaters shouldnt have to justify why they eat what they do.

Imagine if the majority of the human race were veggies and every time you ate a bacon sandwich you had to explain why you were that way, how long would it take you to get fed up explaining this... and how pompus would the guy have sounded in a group of 15 people saying he was an ethical meat eater, he didnt invent the word veggie, he just gets on with his life by his standards not others...

But i know what you mean, the amount of meat eaters that looked at me funny when i said i was a veggie on one of the ray mears courses, but when it came to them skinning a rabbit so that they could have a meal later, man half of them looked as if they would keel over and be sick straight away.

I wonder how many modern people could still eat meat if they had to do the slaughter and food prep themselves? not many i think, half the kids now days dont even know where there food comes from! so i guess thats only natural because we have lost our roots from nature so quickly in the last few hundred years..

colin

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE