Varyation on boil in the bag food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

I got a crusader mug metal mug & cooker that I'm taking camping next week.
Great bit of kit for boil in the bag food, but what else can I heat with this cooking method?
I dont mind LWWF type meals, but it would be nice to have some additional types of warm food stuffs.
Hot dogs, rice, eggs and potatoes are already on the list, but what other food just needs boiling?

I'm not much of a cook, but I'm getting better with practice in the kitchen!

Thanks for the surgestions,

Paul.

headrox_inc

Apr 8, 2008
Birmingham
Army ration packs are always a good for a high calory intake and they come with a good selection of menus. A ration box will contain enough food for 24hrs but can be streached for 48 if you ration the rations lol, you get tea, busicts coffee, hot choclet and sweets a good emergency buy if you ever get caught out and they last for years, but not if the space bag is open haha.

Hope this has helped.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi,

I got a crusader mug metal mug & cooker that I'm taking camping next week.
Great bit of kit for boil in the bag food, but what else can I heat with this cooking method?
I dont mind LWWF type meals, but it would be nice to have some additional types of warm food stuffs.
Hot dogs, rice, eggs and potatoes are already on the list, but what other food just needs boiling?

I'm not much of a cook, but I'm getting better with practice in the kitchen!

Thanks for the surgestions,

Paul.

To be honest Paul, the Crusader is not that good for rat pack meals, they work but not as well as the rectangualar army mess tins. Another good point about the mess tins is that you can pack bits and pieces in them, tea bags, dried milk, sugar (I mix instant white tea with sugar), scouring pad etc. The Crusader is good for things like noodles and hot dog sausages, best of all, it holds a 500ml tin of beer, perfect:)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I found over the years that most metal mugs will take a boily meal pouch if you fold it in half, only fill the cup to the lower mark and turn the meal over once it starts to boil, the crusader cup will take and cook a pasta n sauce and savoury rice with ease but you need to either break the hexi blocks up for simmering or use a pop can stove as you can warm stuff up slower which also saves fuel. you also have to wash up so the slower the cooking the less it is likely to weld itself to the bottom of the cup.

simple and tasty is boil in the bag rice with savoury tuna, sardines in tomato sauce or stewed steak in a small tin. you cant make a brew afterwards with the starchy water but fresh water isn't so bad.

dolmio do sachets of sauce for pasta, the carbonara is particularly good and again will heat along with the pasta

simple hot food on the move then super noodle or soup noodles are excellent the polish borsch ones are tasty if you get sick of beef or curry flavour.

princess do an excellent corned beef hash which is fantastic with baked beans if there is two of you or you make your own boily meals.

a small cheap non stick frying pan is a good addition as it can be used as a plate if needed and will sit ontop of the crusader cooker. cut a scrubby sponge in half as well and throw in the bottom of your crusader pouch. :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Have a go at 'camping casserole'.
All you need is some meat and some veg (most supermarkets do a bag of stewing veg with carrots, swede and leek already chopped up!), stock and some seasoning.
Bit of oil in the pan and brown off the meat. Then pour in the stock, veg and seasoning,put on the lid and leave to boil for a couple of hours. Enjoy with a bit of crusty bread and a can of beer.
Perfect!

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for the surgestions guys.

Pot noodle and pasta n' sauce, of course, why didn't I think of those ! (I will use the sauce with the rice also!).

TBH potatoes are gonna be a bit heavy to carry and the eggs are too breakable and take up a lot of room when packed correctly, so they are kind of out now.
Any other surgestions are very welcome.

Next is what for breakfast??
I like ready brek, but milk doesn't keep well, but I hear there is a way to make it with milk powder. I am a newb to this type of cooking, so could someone please give me a idiot proof way of making poridge with milk powder?

I cant think of a way to do toast on this cooker, I can see this cooker has it's limits (weight / cooking ability), but it packs up well, contains my water, and I can see how much fuel I have left (I use green heat gel). The pot is also fairly stable, and after losing more than one meal from the top of a carefully balanced gas stove, find this a real advantage!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I am a newb to this type of cooking, so could someone please give me a idiot proof way of making poridge with milk powder?

Sure - place porridge oats in pan / mug, add about 1-2 dessert spoons of milk powder and a pinch of salt, add the necessary volume of water, bring to the boil whilst stirring. Simmer 'til done.

H

High on Hex

A big chunk of slightly toasted bread is easy and bulks up a meal. Take a pre mixed bag of 4 parts self raising flour, 1/2 part milk powder, 1/2 part (or less) caster sugar and a big pinch of salt.

To cook it, mix in some water a bit at a time till it's doughy, squash it down to about 1/2 inch thick, wipe the inside of the pan with a bit of butter (those cafe pack are good) then cook it with the lid on as slowly as you can. Takes about 5 minutes each side. Eat it hot with the rest of the butter!

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks guys, now I can have poridge AND toast!
I will add dried eggs to the rice, should add some flovour!

I'm think about going for a week / 10 days, so food that keeps well is an advantage, as is food that doesn't weigh a tonne, as it's all going in my backpack.

I got a few other ideas, dried fruit, beef jerky, fruitcake, apple, cupasoup, stuffing (I love this) and a small can of tined fruit.

How long do the small packs of butter / jam last out from the fridge?
I herd about 'just add water' custard, where can I get some?
Also, could I make angel delight with the powdered milk and water, or is it gonna be yukey??
Keep the ideas comming.

H

High on Hex

The custard is in those red blue and yellow sachets. You can get it from any corner shop.
On the porridge front, if you put the oats in a grill pan, sprinkle on some cinnamon and then give them a blast for 5 minutes before you go, they can still be used to make porridge or you can just eat them raw as a snack as you go along.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
A variation of durulz's camping casserole - likewise using a mixed bag of supermarket veg, boil them in the mug for a few minutes to get them fairly well cooked like you would with a stir fry, then add a pack of noodles - they absorb all the water. I see at the moment Aldis do 1-person sized noodles packs for 17p, the sauces aren't particularly nice so this is my slightly tastier and healthier alternative!

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
anything that needs milk and butter open the pack, spoon in the milk and a knob of butter or marge and tape back up. they are edible without but its worth the effort. the lidl stuff needs no extra's which helps. not sure on the angel delight but birds semolina is good.

some stuff can be bulked up - cheese and broccoli pasta sauce works with nettles/dandelion very well but reduce the water a bit. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE