Vapour Trail review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
As promised in another thread here is my review of one of my favourite packs so far, naely the Granite Gear Vapour Trail. For those of you who define quality and reliability as 'bomb proof', 'squaddie proof' or 'built as a tank' then you could probably stop reading here. Being light weight and made in light weight durable materials it's for the more open and daring crowd I guess. Although marketed as ultralite I would say that it's light rather than ultra light. Featuring a minimalistic design and a rather lacking feature list I think it is well suited to the kind of outdoor activities I do. A feature is just another think that can get broken. I rarely use any of the features my former packs have boasted. It would probably put this pack in better light if I stated my experience of packs. I've used a lot of packs, steel framed army packs, alu framed hiking/hunting packs, military soft packs, civilian trekking packs, and some rather good climbing packs.

Any way, on with it then! Okay, the pack is made from a light weight cordura ripstop fabric, reinforced bottom and some parts on the front. No external pouches, but elasticated pockets, the kind which has become more or less standard in the UL world. And for a reason I might add, I feel these pcokets are way superior to any pouches I've used. Well, you can't make a day pack out of pockets, but how often do you do that anyway?
4180875061_ca035fa367_o.jpg

The front

Here's a pic of the front, the two straps are prefect for your kip mat, and you can also see the pockets. The pockets can be accessed while the pack is on your back. They could easily hold a 1.5 pet bottle and some other bits and bobs, they are quite spacious. Also notable is one of the key design features, namely the non-existent lid. While at first I was rigid in my views of the traditional ruck sack, with lid, I have now really questioned why I used a lid at all in the first place. What is the point of the lid? Hold a kip mat? No, a pair of straps does that as good if not better. Hold a climbing rope? No, straps again win that. Rain protection? No, not really, you always have to combine with some liner. The top pocket? Come on, that small space doesn't jsutify the lid. I can't really understand why almost all packs have a lid, it's just in the way of the opening anyway.
4181637996_956bf188f0_o.jpg

Side view
As you can see from the side view there are a pair of compression straps on each side. The side compression straps in combination with the pockets can be used for collabsible poles, fishing rods, a gun or whatever.
4180875421_a603f59901_o.jpg

The back side

This shot of the back side shows another typical trait of the lighter packs, namely the complete lack of any carrying frame. This pack is more moderate as it features a foam pad which provides enough stiffness. Also the shoulder straps and waist belt is very stiff and has good padding. I guess most people will think that some sort of carrying system is a must, and that a well designed load bearing systems will 'take the load of your shoulders' think again pal, there ain't no such thing that's worth it's own weight. I have tried this a lot, using a 16 kilo load in this pack and then putting the same load in two different frame packs, and a soft pack. What matters is total weight, not what kind of pack you use. Try it yourself, you will be amazed. As long as there is some kind of basal stiffness in the pack (either by something stiff in the pack or by packing in a certain way) you will most likely favour the lighter ones. A easy example, 16 kilo load in a 1 kilo pack is 17 kilos, 16 kilos in a 3.5 kilo pack is 19.5, the difference is 2.5 kilos, or 13 percent. No way is the 3.5 kilo ruck gonna relieve 13 percent of the load. Dream on.

The waist belt is removeable, a nice touch if you're travelling by train, plane or bus. Less to get snagged in aisles or bet abused by the luggage handlers. The waist belt is adjustable on both sides, and against the actual bag. The shoulder straps are pretty straight forward. A sternum strap that is less visible on the picture.
4180875791_33768b8883_o.jpg

The top

As you can see, the lidless top is strapped into place by two crossed straps. Since the lid is missing the collar is much more expandable. The little spruce cone is there for a reason, it's separating the main pack from the foam pad to reveal a really neat pocket, ideal for e.g. separating wet gear from the rest of the pack or for axes, saws or other tools. You can also see the haul loop. Instead of a adjustable back system, the vapour trail comes in three sizes. I bought mine in a group buy and not a single one of the buyers have been dissatified with the fit. Not shown in the pics is the internal pocket which is well suited to hydration bladders, there is a channel for the hose.

My overall impression of the pack is very good, I have used it for about a year and a half and am well shuffed with it. The stitching and overall build quality breaths reliability and craftsmanship. Granite gear states that the load capacity is 14 kilos, although I have personally used it for a lot more. Around 18 maybe, and that is more or less how much I am willing to carry unless somebody pays me. Ihave been out for about 9 days with out any support with this pack, although it was filled to the brim the first days. A smart thing is that it has no zippers at all, which are a good thing IMO as zips are the first thing that go bust.
And I must add, I am by no means an ultra light hiker. I prefer traditional stuff as most here do, I don't weigh any of my kit and I don't see any great need for it either. But I don't seeing any point in constantly looking backwards. I made a specification for a pack and looked thru what was available in the market that fitted my needs, and the choice fell on this one, and it turned out to be a great deal lighter than I had hoped for. Here are the specs from the company, and they are great to deal with, the prices are fair and quality high. They also have a range of canoe packs, in modern materials and more modern harnesses. worth checking out IMO.

Specifications

Torso Sizes: short | regular | long
Weight: 1kg | 2lbs 5oz
Capacity: 59 liters | 3600 cubic inches
Suspension: Vapor
Load Capacity: 30lbs | 14kg

Materials:

70D Ripstop Body
210D Nylon Cordura Reinforcements
Stretch Woven Pockets

Features

• hyrdation compatible
  • optional lid
  • interchangeable belt
www.granitegear.com

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Good review,thanks.

I`ve said it before, its how the weight is carried not what the weight is.

If a tesco`s pack fits properly then its better than ANY pack that doesnt.This is something that i have learnt from experience.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Looks like the rain will get in and your back will be very sweaty with the flatback panel.

Nick
No probs with rain so far in 1.5 years. And sweaty back? Come on! Have you ever carried any pack? Every pack I own makes my back sweat. It comes from the dorsal muscles in work, not contact with any materials. Furthermore the most sweaty back I ever had was with my frame pack, which according to the usual nonsens should be less sweaty.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi BS,

Nice looking pack...do they do them in green?? I can see the Ice axe loops on the base but no strap on the top of the pack do you have to use one of the side compression straps to hold the top of the axe??

Cannot say I'm a fan of soft packs myself.. I have an old YAKPAK and it needs really careful packing to get the best out of it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm all for lightweight.
My present pack weighs almost as much as the contents I put in it :sigh: Talk about over engineered. That one looks so simple in comparison.

I think a flap covering the top under those straps wouldn't add more than a few grammes though.
I must admit I'm tempted by the dry bags closure. Would that not work well on a pack like this ?

Thanks for the review :D

cheers,
Toddy

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
That looks to be a very versatile, well designed pack with a light empty weight and a good capacity. I like your objective review.
happy0034.gif

After looking at backpacks, I'm just switching to drybags with shoulder/sternum straps and a grab handle, as I paddle more than walk. 62 litre and 108 litre, waterproof, one compartment backpacks. Simplicity itself.
happy0054.gif

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have used one of these for the past four years or so on LDPs and anything longer than an overnighter and I LURVE it! It is, in fact, probably the most comfortable pack I've used. The weight is crucial as I like to travel light but I also like the fact that you can cinch it all up to make a "smaller" pack that is still lighter than your usual small pack (if you see what I mean:)).

As for resilience - the first one I had, I had to return after one three-dayer when the stitching started to come undone. I was a bit concerned that this would be a feature of all of them but the replacement has been put through some pretty poor treatment with no problems (except for four really neat holes where I didn't pack my fork with enough care:().

You can't go crashing through the brambles willy nilly with it - so don't. On the other hand, my 25 year old Karrimor Jaguar will happily take me through those brambles, but at a cost of 6lbs extra weight, every step of the way. Horses for courses.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
No probs with rain so far in 1.5 years. And sweaty back? Come on! Have you ever carried any pack? Every pack I own makes my back sweat. It comes from the dorsal muscles in work, not contact with any materials. Furthermore the most sweaty back I ever had was with my frame pack, which according to the usual nonsens should be less sweaty.

It would be full contact with your whole back. Rather than the limtied contact from other makers.

Nick

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
It would be full contact with your whole back. Rather than the limtied contact from other makers.

Nick

My back gets sweaty from doin all sorts of things. With or without any backpack. I usually have full contact with my clothing on my back yet sometimes I don't get sweaty. I have carried frame packs with minimal contact with my back. Still extremely sweaty.

That old saying with contact and sweatiness is nonsense. I have a lot to back this up. Most UL gurus will agree on this, and they probably walk more than this forum combined, check what kind of packs Andrew Skurka or Ryan Jordan uses for instance. I would prefer the Norwegian bushcraft guru Lars Monsen who writes about this in one of his books.

If contact equalled sweatiness then soft packs would never been the success they are. And don't even think about going down the old 'it's all marketing' trail. We all know that just isn't true.

The easiest way of reducing sweating backs is by reducing the strain. Either by getting stronger or reducing the load. It's as simple as that. A frame can help by putting some of the load on the lumbar region, but you will still have to lift this increased weight. Every step.

Last edited:

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
Hi. Nice bag - and thanks for the review.

Just bought something similar - a 'GoLite Jam2' for less than £40 new. Been flirting with the 'lighter' idea for ages, but just too pricey.

Not up everyones street, but I'm very pleased with mine - and I do weigh stuff, but to keep within Ryanair carry-on specs. Not gone ultra - yet.

Here's a link to it case anyone's interested - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rucksacks/backpacks/golite-jam-2-rucksack/HEROPMBAPA5264

Cheers. 8]

Last edited:

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for the review Big Swede!

Since no one around here sold Granite Gear backpacks last year I decided to go with the slightly heavier Lightwave Fastpack 50 (clocked 1150g on old kitchen scale, everything goes on the scale here :cool: ) it has a lid, but luckily only one zipper (on the lid's pocket).

You keep small stuff together in a liner or something?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE