Vacuum sealing food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
no i dont precook the rice or pasta, dried foods plus water, boil when wanted.

I forgot to mention it changes depending on if i do a short mobile or a long mobile or a static stay, let me explain.
If i am doing a walking weekend say start at a on friday night after work and finish in b on sunday before coming home on the train i will normalu do a set batch of 5 meals per day, as its easier on my stomach to eat little and often rather than walking a massive fry up off, so say for breakie we want bacon and eggs, so that can be either two pieces of raw bacon vac packed or two precooked ones vac bagged. if you choice the premade route say a tin of spag bog with a treat of a couple of ravioli pieces thrown in for luck then vac packed if i want to keep walking but is hungrey i can just eat it cold and keep going, i have done several times but its a little hard to do and then keep from punturing dried porage oats in one section with a milk second section still with it.

jam was another failure i tried, whole jar of strawb jam maked up into vac packed tubes so i can use what i wanted in smaller pieces, ended up with the most stickyest rucksac pocket ever when i fell over onto it!

I ant to worried about food going off as i normal vac pack the perishables for the first two days, raw meats, buggers,bacon,sausages either one the own or with other food items after two days we then kick in with the either dried goods or dried goods wetted.on day three its normal for me to go on to quorn, yes i know everyone takes the micheal out of it but it dont go off and tastes ok when mixed in with sauses

a handfull of dried pasta shells with either half a can of tomato soup or pasta sause, extra garlic and herbs to kick it up a gear maybe a couple of ravioli shells as a treat or a meat ball (cooked) and this will easily last a week before either eating or cooking and eating.

beef stew and dumplings
tinned mixed veg or cook your own
frozen dumplings or make your own.
meat is either a tin of stewing meat or a fray bentos pie cut up ect
some crumbed oxo cube or the like etc etc etc when made up at home a few tins of this and that , i always throw tins of baked beans or handfull of dried runner beans or wheat/pearl barley as a bulker or rice if you want. this normaly ends up being a massive pile which is then split down into small portions to either freeze down or to go straight into the ruck sac to go out.

on a hot day most opened packets soon go off, but i find the vac sealed ones last a little longer some times even a day and a half two days for raw meats.

the main point is for me to break down tin cans into bags or to make meals ready to eat and or go, if i know water is not going to be a problem i will vac bag dried goods more than wet ones to keep the weights down,

i prefere boil in the bags because i do a brew at the same time as a meal. if i am cold i will then use the meal as a hot water bottle untill its cool enough to eat

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Excellent reply Pete!!!
So basically, for work, its not a problem at all that the food may go off cause the longest its likely to be the pack for without being refridgerated is 6 hours so thats cool!!
As for going out on the trail, non frozen, pre cooked or raw, will last a good couple of days, but am assuming if it comes directly out of my freezer than it could last up 3 or 4 days depending on the temperature? anything longer than that I am talking dried foods!!
So the key is use the fresh vac pack foods first then the defrosted foods!!!
Im highly unlikely to out for more than a weekend anyway say this should be adequate!! I guess the only downside like you say is the weight of it compared to dry foods!!
The other good thing is that I do alot of car camping with the missus and kids, so it would be great to take some vac packed foods, but as we have a camp fridge they should last a lot longer!!
All the best
Steve

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I sent a query to seal-a-meal and the pouches are BPA free (no frog hormone disrupters here...) however waiting to hear back as to whether they can be heated to 130'c without breaking down.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I sent a query to seal-a-meal and the pouches are BPA free (no frog hormone disrupters here...) however waiting to hear back as to whether they can be heated to 130'c without breaking down.

That would be interesting to find out!! I guess that if you can heat them 130deg would I be right in thinking this would extend the shelf life?
For give me for keep banging on about how long the food will last lol, Im just a bit strange for things like that, its terribally wastefull but in my house stuff is gone when the sell by date is up!! Although Im fully aware that sell by dates is actually still quite a new thing, I still cant help it!

So whats the difference between a normal bag/roll for vacuume sealing the seal-a-meal bags?

cheers
Steve

Last edited:
it is supposed to be strengh of the bag more than any thing, normal vac bags are just standard plastic bags exactly the same as bog standard freezer bags which is what i normaly use, seal a meal bags are desined to be micro waved and reheated where as most freezer bags melt/disolve when nuked

the next step up is lake land boil in the bag , bags these are thicker and stronger and designed to reheated and general wear and tear is better from the thicker plastic films.

next step up again is the propper vac bags these have a diamond mesh liner inside them to allow the air to escape better than via the two flat films of a standard bag

the top of the line bag is a foil bag sometimes called a UV bag, the best way to describe these is a tin foil lined plastic bag, it is the same one as propper ground coffee comes in or fish some times, if you want to vac pack some thing so its as hard as a brick foil bags is where to go to.

the next thing is to go for a food saver or air tab, the yanks seam to go on about them , i have never seen one personaly in the uk, it seams to be some form of paper tab that effects the air left inside the packet, but i dont understand it myself

vac packing with kids and cars to me meens one thing loo roll and tissues, spare clothes , a towel, rather than having them kicking around every where we used to have a single set vac packed down as they take up next to no room and we used to keep them stuffed in with the spare tyre, brilliant for when we used to have accidents or projectile vomiting, lol

we used to do the days driving travel food as well some times depending on where we were going to

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
it is supposed to be strengh of the bag more than any thing, normal vac bags are just standard plastic bags exactly the same as bog standard freezer bags which is what i normaly use, seal a meal bags are desined to be micro waved and reheated where as most freezer bags melt/disolve when nuked

the next step up is lake land boil in the bag , bags these are thicker and stronger and designed to reheated and general wear and tear is better from the thicker plastic films.

next step up again is the propper vac bags these have a diamond mesh liner inside them to allow the air to escape better than via the two flat films of a standard bag

the top of the line bag is a foil bag sometimes called a UV bag, the best way to describe these is a tin foil lined plastic bag, it is the same one as propper ground coffee comes in or fish some times, if you want to vac pack some thing so its as hard as a brick foil bags is where to go to.

the next thing is to go for a food saver or air tab, the yanks seam to go on about them , i have never seen one personaly in the uk, it seams to be some form of paper tab that effects the air left inside the packet, but i dont understand it myself

vac packing with kids and cars to me meens one thing loo roll and tissues, spare clothes , a towel, rather than having them kicking around every where we used to have a single set vac packed down as they take up next to no room and we used to keep them stuffed in with the spare tyre, brilliant for when we used to have accidents or projectile vomiting, lol

we used to do the days driving travel food as well some times depending on where we were going to

Well like Iv said before, you certainly have me sold!!! now I just have to figure out which vacuum machine to get!!
Would I be right in thinking that the bag side of things is pretty universal? eg I could use seal-a-meal bags on a another machine that isnt made by seal-a-meal? the added dimension of being able to nuke the bags is a good idea!!

What sort of machine and bags do you use?
Cheers
Steve

most will seal bags upto 200mm up to 300 mm depending on your machine. mine is a morphy richards and is donkeys years old so proberly cant buy it now, mine seals a 12" bag. becarefull so rolls of bags are split along rather across the end , we brough one of them and it limits the bags to 10 " max width, so you do have to think when you buy bags.

i wish i brought the one with the tube attatchment to vac containers, but then again we have survived for years without it.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
most will seal bags upto 200mm up to 300 mm depending on your machine. mine is a morphy richards and is donkeys years old so proberly cant buy it now, mine seals a 12" bag. becarefull so rolls of bags are split along rather across the end , we brough one of them and it limits the bags to 10 " max width, so you do have to think when you buy bags.

i wish i brought the one with the tube attatchment to vac containers, but then again we have survived for years without it.

I see,so you ca actually get different widths then and cut them down length ways?
Thanks for all the help guys
Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, just to let you no I managed to win a vacuum sealer on evil bay, its an Andrew James one, its 2nd hand but it only cost me £20 so I figure if I dont get on with it I should be able to get my money back!!
Just gotta find some bags for it now!!
Cheers for all the help
Steve

you can use normaly cheapy ones from asda freezer bag range with no problems, although some times they do need a little help to empty the air out, and if you look on fleabay for vac bags you can buy them by the box or crate, i suggest you stick with the freezer bags as they are cheaper and we all make mistakes when starting out,

found out from a friend being a yank he describes the foil bags as mylar bags and recons the uv damage is totaly reduced as well as the air vacuum

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I can see Mylar bags being of benefit but I fail to see the point in using an oxygen absorber in a vacuum pack? We are talking vacuum's here i.e NO air left. I notice that trail meals like mountain house do come with an oxygen absorber but they are not vacuum sealed.

If you dehydrate your meals they will last a long time. Mrbabelfish5 on youtube is a good watch on this subject. A dehydrated meal stored in a cool place in a ziploc bag can last 6 months, in a vacuum bag it can last 18 months and in a vacuum bag in the freezer it can last 24 months! He normally cooks up a meal then dehydrates the whole thing. The only thing he says is not good to dehydrate is cream and butter and also has poor luck with eggs.

Steve.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Any barrier bag, Mylar included, are not totally impervious, Oxygen will slowly diffuse through. The Oxygen absorber is to mop up that diffused Oxygen before the food can be degraded and thus extend the storage life.

The barrier bag/Oxygen absorber storage mechanism will fail eventually.

Mylar in a barrier bag is not the be all and end all, there are better, cheaper, more easily available bags. Just Google for "barrier bags"

dont look at me i dont bother using them and never have seen them used for my line of food. all i know is what i have been told by a yank so take what you want from that.

i only use lakeland boil in the bag , bags and normal bog standard asda freezer bags and that does for us, i dont dehydrate any meal just vac bagging only as i cant afford one, and to be honest the longest i leave food vac bagged and unfrozen is a day when at work or three days if out walking ect,, dried food is vac bagged and then used up i dont have any other storage ways at home

Kyle_Jackson

Apr 22, 2017
New York, USA
Hello, what kind of food sealers can you recommend? At my work we have a vacuum chamber (Minerva I think) but I really can't afford a vacuum-chamber at home, so I have to settle with a sealer. Hope you can help me, so that I can start sous vide'ing at home!

Thanks,
Kyle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE