vaccumed meat for camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Guys,
am off camping in Scotland for a couple of weeks, and was wondering about how to keep food for longer. if i vacuum pack, say mince beef, will it keep for longer than if it's left normally? the same would be for chicken and steak. i don't know why i suddenly thought of this but would be really interested to know if anyone has any answers or suggestions.
Cheers
Baggins

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
No expert, but I would not bring unprocessed (not salted/dried/smoked) meat without means of refridgeration. Minced beef least of all.
To try to answer your question: Yes, I think it will, but not by any practical time frame.

Cheers,
Greger

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Does it absolutely have to be fresh?

Vacuum sealing will extend the time it takes meat to go off but keeping it fresh 'for a couple of weeks' is ... erm ... doubtful. Bad meat means you might come back 'somewhat empty' and a fair bit lighter :yuck: :stretcher: .

I assume you have a vacuum sealer, do you also have a dehydrator? Might make it easier ... lighter for carrying certainly ;) .

(All assuming a walking trip rather than car based ~ and having no access to one or more decent cool boxes)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Vacuum packed raw meat keeps the oxygen out. That creates an ideal environment for the growth of Clostridium botulinum. Yeah, the toxins are "botulism."
I would never do this even if I was a die-hard gambler.
Tinned prepared meats like fishy things and corned beef aren't the greatest some days but they do reduce the risk by a great deal.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Vacuum packed raw meat keeps the oxygen out. That creates an ideal environment for the growth of Clostridium botulinum. Yeah, the toxins are "botulism."

Thanks for the reminder. I was basing my comments on chilled and frozen at home and, somewhat stupidly, hadn't put enough thought into the effects of standard outdoors (with multiple uncontrolled warmings and coolings :yikes: ).

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Dehydrate the meat - biltong. You can eat it dry, or rehydrate it and cook with it.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
There's always this option...
chicken.jpg
but realistically dehydrated for long distance hauls, canned if your not going to far out or using a canoe with foil sachets of Spam or Tuna offering a good compromise for those days when the craving gets bad and would rather eat your own leg than another packet of instant noodles.

FYI
As far back as the mid 1960's the US Army was messing around with food irradiation to preserve vacuum packed meat and initial work suggested that a steak once treated could be left unrefrigerated for eight weeks and still safely eaten.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Excellent suggestions. Also you can hard salt beef if you plan a couple of weeks ahead. And do not forget the Curse of Mankind, Spam!
You might be able to buy it in several varieties including Roast Turkey, which is just eatable ( if you are really really hungry!).

Minced meat is the most dangerous form of meat, as the bacteria have a large surface area to live on.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Excellent suggestions. Also you can hard salt beef if you plan a couple of weeks ahead. And do not forget the Curse of Mankind, Spam!
You might be able to buy it in several varieties including Roast Turkey, which is just eatable ( if you are really really hungry!).

Minced meat is the most dangerous form of meat, as the bacteria have a large surface area to live on.

Spam is probably THE most enjoyable meat ever except BACON!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I see that "biltong" is no more than a $2 word for dried smoked/preserved meat. Semantically the same thing as what is called "jerky" in North America. You can argue the words all you want, I won't help. I need to figure out how to add a dose of apple wood smoke to my efforts.

You need _hard_ dried meat for the long haul. Add water, veg and stir. Added fat, you got pemmican "burgoo" with the root vegetables from the 1700's Hudson's Bay fur trading company.

Experiment. What have you got to lose? But, please report your results, good, bad or indifferent.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Cheers guys,
i figured that might be the case. i already have a large stock of laphroag jerky (is really is very good). was just thinking of trying to extend fresh meat by a few days but thanks for the heads up on Clostridium botulinum,never even thought of that, am normally really careful, even my wild garlic pesto is thrown out after 2 weeks (well, if it lasted that long, lol).
Have already started experimenting with making a type of pemmican but got a way to go before i could eat it for more than a couple of days.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Excellent suggestions. Also you can hard salt beef if you plan a couple of weeks ahead. And do not forget the Curse of Mankind, Spam!......

Apparently they disagree in Hawaii

Spam+Musubi.jpeg

iyasume_spam_musubi.jpg

wpid5176-DSC_5788.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE