V slot in a bolster.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
How do you knife builders make a v slot out of brass for a bolster on a knife.
I am trying to make one but not having much progress.
Cheers guys.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hugo
The rather flippant comments above are correct but you may need a V shaped needle file to do it.
If its a Lauri blade can I recomend a lauri bolster but they do restrict handle style. The bolster can be wood too you know and a little persausive force can help but also with metal. making one from scratch can easily take several hours.

Here is a factory bolster fitted with care

TRH knife 3 by alfred.branch, on Flickr

But you need to thin the tang up to the last few mm from teh bolster position like this

Factory Bolster fitted by alfred.branch, on Flickr

here is a Leuku blade and bolster from scratch.

7 inch Lauri leuku 3 by alfred.branch, on Flickr

Here is one in wood

Lauri 70 4 by alfred.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thank you guys.
@Puchal, that was informative, thanks.
@brancho, many thanks for the detailed response.
If I could have gotten myself a bolster for the M Eklund of Sweden blade that I have I would, that way all would have been much easier. This is like the blade, mine is sand blasted. http://www.art-knives.com/shop/images/b_9.jpg
I have some 3mm brass plate a few needle files like the ones you have recommendatory, I broke two, I'll get another set.
Wooden bolsters, I have some oak that was cut down in 1956 and used for a fence post under the eves of my house, been in the garage for 17 years, interesting.
I am also playing around with a dozen other blades all same type, handles are made for four of them, just making sure the wood is dry.
Funny you should mention Lauri blades, I was going to get a few of them.

Cheers mate.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hugo
Now I see you have a blade that changes thickness from top to bottom.
The answer I was told when I asked on BB HERE was be patient and take your time basically.

A tip I found was to put pieces of masking tape along the lines you are aiming for to help achieve straight lines. Also keep an eye on teh back of the bolster and keep teh slot wider at the back so it is possible to tap it the last mm or so.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE