UV Killer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Does anybody know anywhere in the UK where I can get a product called UV Killer. Its made in the US and is used to help reduce the UV reflected by clothing.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Wolfie said:
Does anybody know anywhere in the UK where I can get a product called UV Killer. Its made in the US and is used to help reduce the UV reflected by clothing.

Lol....you out for a spot of poaching then Wolfie? lol ;) (joke).

Sorry I can't help with UV killers but most ex-army stuff has some degree of IR resistance in it....

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
bambodoggy said:
Lol....you out for a spot of poaching then Wolfie? lol ;) (joke).

I couldn't possibly comment ;)

The importance of UV was brought home to me on a Shadowhawk course. Max shone a UV light on some Realtree Hardwoods cammo gear that I had and I was lit up like a Christmas tree!!! :eek: (Before anyone asks no I hadn't washed it in detergents of any kind). After reading that deer and other wildlife can see UV light I thought it may be useful to get some of this stuff. Something to bear in mind for all those who commented on the thread about wearing green clothing to blend into the woods!

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Thanks IB.

I'll let you know what its like after I find a UV torch! or alternatively I suppose I could strut my stuff :)eek: )in the local discotheque with all their UV lights

Earth Mother

May 15, 2005
Kent
Is this real? Do you think it's a scam or scientifically accurate? Seems strange that you have to buy their detergent to maintain the effect :rolleyes: Good if it works, but you'd never see me out and about in the blaze orange number - it's so yesterday daarling :D

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Camo blue colours are the most effective in regards to fooling animal's vision.
All washing powders have a uv brightener to "hide" stains that it cannot get out.
Washing clothes with a good ( but cheap) green or yellow soap bar such as Sunlight or a Levers product will remove the uv brighteners, and "hide" you once more..
The expensive soaps work well, but cheaper methods are just as good. :)

leon-1

Military clothing is supplied with a IRcoating, as snipers we used to spray ghillie suites with IR paint and then strip them with a wire brush. The only thing that you can do is spray items with either IR paint or things that are are dyed with inks that are better for this.

As far as UV is concerned where are you likely to be???

Yes some animals are more likely to see UV, but humans see UV as well.

Green is the brightest light in nature as far as I am aware, at night when the more interesting beasties are out and the chances are there will be very little green light unless you are using night veiwing aids and UV is limited to night clubs :)

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
leon-1 said:
Yes some animals are more likely to see UV, but humans see UV as well.

Green is the brightest light in nature as far as I am aware, at night when the more interesting beasties are out and the chances are there will be very little green light unless you are using night veiwing aids and UV is limited to night clubs :)

I think Leon 1 youu should have a look at the link that I posted and read it through. Humans can't see UV light under normal conditions, it is outside of our visible spectrum. Humans have a UV filter in the eye that blocks out light below 500 nanometres. We only see the effects of UV when viewed using a special light source or visual aids

To quote the report - "In low light and darkness, animals see in black and white and are tens of thousands of times more sensitive to ultraviolet and blue wavelengths than humans. After all, animals can run through the woods at night without bumping into trees ."

Ultraviolet brighteners that are used in some detergents (and are also put into cloth during its manufacture) gather energy from light over a wide range of wavelengths and reradiate that energy in a very powerful narrow band that corresponds almost exactly with the peak of sensitivity of part of the deer’s blue cones and their more numerous rods in their eyes. This results in an unnaturally bright blue or white glow, brighter than the blue sky, or white snow. In other words some animals have their own built in night vision goggles!

As far as IR is concerned that is at the opposite end of the light spectrum and again is not visible to humans (or animals as far as I'm aware). Again we can only see the effects of IR using special technology.

I think the point we humans have to remember is not to be so arrogant. Although humans see something in a certain way the rest of the animal kingdom may not.

Why am I interested in this? Well I want to improve my ability to spot animals before they spot me and to remain unobserved. The main reason though is....I'm red / green colourblind!!

As far as their special soap is concerned it as basically a soap formulated without brighteners. I think that Nikwax and other manufacturers do similar products.

And no I don't have any mirrors in my house ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE