Using Rush for cordage/weaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
Kids picked some rush the other day and did a short weave with three pieces. I thought they would dry and fall apart, but after four days they remain smooth, waxy and tight.

has any one experimented with this plant and used it to make rope or something, would be interesting to see what could be done with it as the kids weave is still very strong.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Troy,
It is good isn't it? It's traditionally the material used to make ropes for tying oatstraw baskets together, the kind that women in old photos are using to carry peats or potatoes. If you strip out the inner core and split the rushes lengthwise I find I get a finer quality of string. The dried out *polystyrene* like core is great for firestarting too.
For a strong rope make a lay as we did with nettles on the first Scottish meet and then ply them together. Basketmakers just use a single *lay* but each strand is made of usually three rushes. Pull the rushes for maximum length and let them wilt a bit before using them if you are using whole ones.

Cheers,
Toddy

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
They were at the wood - loads around the pond and I was thinking of using them for maybe chair seats, or if made wider using a 5 braid for split basket type projects.

I take it then, that once split, they are easy to splice together and hold tight despite their waxy texture?

Ref's the inner core, the kids have used them before in candle making for the wick - funny how you don't see the usefulness of certain plants sometimes!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
troy said:
They were at the wood - loads around the pond and I was thinking of using them for maybe chair seats, or if made wider using a 5 braid for split basket type projects.

I take it then, that once split, they are easy to splice together and hold tight despite their waxy texture?

Ref's the inner core, the kids have used them before in candle making for the wick - funny how you don't see the usefulness of certain plants sometimes!

I find them very good to work with. They do dry out though, so be aware that they will shrink.
Patrick Cave-Brown did a lot of experimentation with different fats & oils and peeled rush wicks, the best of the bunch was from sheep fat :eek:
I dont suppose your pond has Scirpus lacustris in it, has it? It's a marvellous rush for basketry.

Cheers,
Toddy

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Troy, on one of the courses I did last year in the brecons, we made snares from rush.

I seem to remember the instructor called it "soft rush", it was excellant and easy to use.

:D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
chris said:
Troy, on one of the courses I did last year in the brecons, we made snares from rush.

I seem to remember the instructor called it "soft rush", it was excellant and easy to use.

:D

Was that UK survival school? I recently did that course, and you're right, it was soft rush. What did you think of the course?

I found some soft rush last weekend and have made some cord. I'll try and photograph it this weekend - it's very strong.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is where it gets confusing, basketry *soft* rush is long, over 8 feet and can be up to 18, thick and spongy, and is also known as the true bullrush. It's not the stuff that's called Bullrush (reedmace) Typha latifolia.
Juncus effusus, is the stuff that grows in tufts in very damp fields and the bunch of flowers splits out of the stem towards the top. Soft rush flowers like this too but it grows in water, lochs and slow flowing rivers. It used to be called Scirpus lacustris now it's Schoenoplectus lacustris.
Different crafts call the same plant by different names.
D'you mean the snares were made out of the smaller field type rush ? I could well believe it; the strings I make from it are very strong and flexible.Technically we can't call it field rush because that name is already taken for a different species :rolleyes: but many basketmakers do call it that.

Cheers,
Toddy

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd have to look up the latin name in my book tonight but the stuff I'm describing sounds like the Juncus effusus you describe with "bunch of flowers splits out of the stem towards the top" and about 2-3 feet long at most.

I was taught to make the cord in a similar way that RM describes a "pygmy roll". The instructor also said that the fibrous core can be used as a fish attractant as it looks like maggots when sprinked on water. I've yet to try it dried as a tinder. Hadn't thought of that...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like the same stuff right enough. I did hear that you can use the pith to thicken soups and stews too. Haven't tried it though. The fishing bait's a new one to me.
Cheers,
Toddy

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
just checked in one of my books,

Roger Phillips - "Grasses, ferns, mossess, and lichens of GB and europe"

page 16, Soft Rush, also known as juncus effusus, description, - grows in bogs, wet woods and pasture, hieght, from 30cm to 150cm,

theres a big picture on the page - I don't know how to do pictures on computer, completely useless on techno stuff

definately the same rush we made snares with, it was great and a new one on me too, also fish lure,bait/attractant, sounds right, i'm sure they said that when i was taught there.

scanker, without going off topic, yes, your right and it was excellant, a very practical survival weekend, I've done a lot of courses and the ones I did with them were more to my tastes, there is only so much you can do on a weekend, we did stacks and had a great time.

Chris :)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
The core of soft rush does work well as candles - either soaked in 'hard' fat and left to set, or used as a wick in oils.

It can also be used as a fishing float if you don't use weights on your hooks (to attract surface feeders), or as bait on hooks or castings as it looks like maggots.

I have used it as a thickener in stews and it works quite well, but you need a lot (its really just a starchy inner fibre).

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I collected some rush( Schoenoplectus lacustris)last week.
Already knocked out a rough basket.

As mentioned it shrinks when dry so is best dried then moistened when needed.
You don't need to soak like willow . I just spray and wrap in a damp cloth an hour before i need it.
Try not to kink the stems when collecting as these will become weak spots and are likely to break when weaving.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Isn't it lovely stuff to work with? It dries with a wonderful range of colours of autumnal leaves, feels good and smells *green* too, in a way that willow or cane just doesn't.
Much under rated material I feel. Wish I had some accessible nearby.
A peeled length of stem, with a strip of skin left on to form a spine, soaked in melted fat, will burn for about 20 minutes to half an hour per 40/50 cms, and it's a *big* light.

Cheers,
Toddy

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
man what a rush!!

until this thread started I didn't think much of this plant.

After looking at a few wild flower books, I did think we had acres of what they called hard rush, but it also sounds like this sift rush you have all mentioned. Whatever it is, if its wanted, I'll harvest a load anfd bring to the scot meet and then we can all try this weaving, burning and stewing with it.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Yes, it's great stuff, until last year I just walked past it, then I had my eyes opened by the teachers on my course, I was amazed at how easy it was to use as opposed to stripping and preparing nettles, I was really hooked on this (amongst other things) and made allsorts, including a wristlet for my wife.

Happy cording at the scottish meet, looks like Troy may bring you all a field full. :)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here's the photo I said I'd post:
cord.jpg

The cord's about 3-4mm in diameter. It's drying out a little (it was very dark green to start with) but still seems strong.
I can't find it at the moment, but the piece I did originally is now completely brown but is still fine as cord.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've not used nettles yet, so I'm going to have to research that method - I'm sure a search will point me in the right direction, but I'd appreciate a pointer if you know of one.

They were from single rushes, split into two, one flipped upside down (to even out the tapering size) and twisted. The longer one's about 3 feet. My book says they grow up to 1.5 m, which is about 5 feet I suppose. (It's easier for me to think in old money!) I've yet to try twisting in more to make a longer length, but that's what I was told you could do. I suppose offset the joints in each of the two strands. Is that the nettle method? I might try tomorrow.

(v nice photos in your sig link btw :) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE