Using Dyneema

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've bot my name down for a load of Amsteel cord in the group buy. I'm intending to use it for tarps only as I'm a ground dweller through and through so no whoopie slings here :rolleyes:

I was just wondering if folks would recommend an speciall sleeves to protect it against abrasion when I hitch it around trees. Also what's it like for knotting?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not too sure about a sleeve mate, maybe a length of tubular webbing would do it ?

When I've tried to knot mine it doesn't hold that well because it so smooth, it'll take a slippery hitch just to tie off my whoopies but I don't think it's that good for friction holds or lots of tension.

There probably are knots out there which do hold it but I can't think what they are

with dynema you should use the same knots you'll use with tubular webbing. I think it hold abrassion erally well, my only concern is that is a lot thinner and if even stronger might hurt the trees more than normal webbing , but less that rope.

btw be carefull when you cut it, and if you can take it to a climbing shop for that, they have specials machines that make perfect cuts , or you can use a heated over the kitchen knife

cheers
Esteban

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I used to use it in my last job quite a lot.
I found that it held bowlines quite well, but for permanent loops, I braid one in to the end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE