Using (coloured) plastic for knife spacers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
it seems to me that it is tougher to shape in comparison with naturalmaterials. but I also think: 'try it'. why not. If it functions well, why not use it. very interested in the result!

drat

Jul 9, 2006
Indaina,USA
i've read that you can use plastic for spacers. i would start on a scrap piece and make the plastic a bit bigger then the wood. when you glue things together the glue will act like a lube and things will slide around some.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
There have been several threads on this subject over on British Blades. Basically, the general opinion is that you can use just about any thin plastic sheet you like to make spacers as long as it is at least as hard as the handle material ( to prevent it wearing faster and ending up sitting lower than it's surroundings). Stuff I've sseen used ranges from the ultra-thin stuff (red) that came from inside a biscuit tin or something like that to some scrap perspex that must have been about 5mm thick.
It does become pretty slippery witha little epoxy on it, but not much more than a well sanded piece of wood. I make all spacers over-sized then cut or sand everything to size and shape once the resin has set. This way any small amount of slippage during glueing, clamping and setting will not ruin the project.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE