Using bottles to make shrink wrapping

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Just a random thought. Some of you might have seen youtube videos showing a simple device to transform a plastic lemonade or coak bottle into an endless strip of plastic ribbon, which can then be heat-shrunk and tightened to make strong joints. One youtuber used the method to make simple furniture from willow sticks. Any way the thought suddenly occured, you could use that method to make wrappings on tools such as elbow adzes. Rawhide isnt always available, lemonade bottles usuallyn are.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
This might give you some ideas, although the translation on the first video is a bit amusing to say the least. The second video is more for using the ribbons to weave with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQeeJEpBYsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN7TwJa_2U8

I have made several elbow adzes, and have used strong linen cord to whip the blades on. Of course shrinking rawhide is traditionally used for the purpose. When I saw the plastic ribbons used to make the furniture I thought it could do the same job for an elbow adze or a carving knife. It could be rigged or improvised very simply and quickly, those soda bottles are everywhere.
Nice looking axe in the video too...

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
very interesting
in answer to your original answer, yes I'm sure you could use it for adzes
Whilst it would hold secure I wonder if the shock would work it loose? I guess the reason rawhide works is because it not only shrinks but also will stretch to allow for the shock of impact

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
goodjob that was well entertaining and looks easy to make. I wonder if one of the blades off a disposable snap off blade knife would work?
edit: Just watched some related ones and that's what they are made from DOH!

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Whilst it would hold secure I wonder if the shock would work it loose? I guess the reason rawhide works is because it not only shrinks but also will stretch to allow for the shock of impact

Maybe a layer of leather or something else to act as a cushion? Native American carvers sometimes do that. And the blade generally sits against a small rebate step that acts as a stop.
Quite some few years ago I made some strings for a diddley bow type of bass guitar. I used those plastic wrapping bands you get on some packing cartons, usually about 8 feet max long. It splits easily along the grain, and I twisted the thin strips then heated them to set the twists in place. But the beauty of the bottle strips is you get a continuos length of usable material. Might be worth a try any way, it wouldnt cost an arm or a leg...:)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
cool stuff, my dad made the jig last summer and fixed a chair with the strings he made. Works great to be honest, but never seen him using it for anything else.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE