Using Antler - Fresh or not so fresh?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Can anyone help me out here.

After seeing PatrickM's amazing tutorials, I've been inpsired to give some of his projects a whirl.

Have been wonderin about antler and how fresh it has to be to be worked?

I know of a local(ish) venison farm which sells antler but was wondering if I could say use older more 'seasoned' antler say from one of those "hunters" wall displays??

I've recently seen a healthy looking pair in an auction house opposite work and was thinking about getting them...cheap (my boss know's the auctioneer)

Would I be wasting my money?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
scruff said:
Can anyone help me out here.

After seeing PatrickM's amazing tutorials, I've been inpsired to give some of his projects a whirl.

Have been wonderin about antler and how fresh it has to be to be worked?

I know of a local(ish) venison farm which sells antler but was wondering if I could say use older more 'seasoned' antler say from one of those "hunters" wall displays??

I've recently seen a healthy looking pair in an auction house opposite work and was thinking about getting them...cheap (my boss know's the auctioneer)

Would I be wasting my money?

hmm, didnt know they have some value. While hunting I saw a nice head with horns laying in the forest and didnt pick it up because I didnt want to drag the horns around while hunting. How much are they when you buy these horns?
I can go again and pick it up.
Its a entire reindeer skeleton! :D

cheers
Abbe

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've used antler from old sets many times with good results. My usual source is flea markets and boot sales.

Abbe, Reindeer horn is very nice to work with, it tends to have a good core and you only have to look at some of the sapmi work to see what can be acheived.

leon-1

Abbe Osram said:
hmm, didnt know they have some value. While hunting I saw a nice head with horns laying in the forest and didnt pick it up because I didnt want to drag the horns around while hunting. How much are they when you buy these horns?
I can go again and pick it up.
Its a entire reindeer skeleton! :D

cheers
Abbe

Abbe you need to look at the Brisa site it will give you an idea of what people are paying for Reindeer Horn

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
phew busy busy...

...i almost forgot about this thread!

abbe over here they seem to sell the 'fresh' antler by weight.

the 'older' antler can often be found, like wayland says, at car boot sales ane the likes over here.

think ex-colonial old english gentleman's trophy wall in his big mansion. tiger skin wall hangings, stuffed bears, and usually one or two deers heads on the wall! of course we dont all live like that over here ;)

you can still pay quite a bit for them maybe upto £15-20 an antler (my uncle just forked out this much! ha ha!) i'd consider that pretty expensive when like u say u can just find them 'lying around' (wished i lived in yur neighbourhood!!)

only reason i saw them in the auction house is because they had aquired lots of stuff from a Western (Wild West) theme pub. Had some pretty convincing Winchester replicas too!

maybe i'll get that antler afterall.

thanks guys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE