Using a tarp with no trees around?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
I'll be walking the WHW at the end of the month and wild camping all the way. I was wondering what to do if i can't find no trees to rig my tarp?

Use walking sticks?

Wallnuts into some rocks?

Get a tent?

Any suggestions?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Never done it myself, but I've seen pictures of tarps set up like a little ridge tent with those extendable walking sticks as tent poles. We used to do this sort of thing with the old army poncho - carry a couple of short sticks and some bungees and tent pegs in our 58-pattern webbing bumroll.

That's why I like tarp and bivvy bag - you can pitch up anywhere. I'm not knocking hammock and tarp, but you do need a pair of well sited trees.

Geoff

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't think the midges will have started by then, will they? The three reasons for the tent are to keep insects out, to be dry when pitched on boggy ground and to offer greater strength and shelter in winds. If those factors are not relevant, or things you can handle (have a ground sheet to use with tarp on wet ground), then you can set up a tarp very well with a couple of walking sticks. A walking staff is a little better since it gives greater ridge height. You can set up with just one, but two poles will work better, give greater versatility and better ventilation. It is pretty annoying to wake and find that the weight of condensation on a poorly vented tarp has caused it to sag till it touches your sleeping bag!

You know the west highland way will have lots and lots of trees along most of it. I wouldn't worry too much. If you choose a treeless bit, there are plenty fences everywhere, I've used a fence post up on the moors in the past. If you are really stuck and caught out, you can improvise by choosing your bivi site with care, use the lie of the land, tuck down behind a wee ridge to get out the wind and use that for your tarp, or use rocks. I've even had to use a bergan a few times. I wouldn't worry about condensation in these circumstances, you are in a bivi bag, the bergan will keep the tarp from the head and face.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Norwegian_evening.jpg

This works for me sometimes.

If you're expecting bad weather make sure the top edge goes right over the rocks though (unlike this picture) or it gets a bit leaky.

Just remember, it's gonna rain every single day at worst, or at best, you'll only get dew.
It's as easy or as hard as you want to make it. If you got a bivibag, you are not gonna get soaked unless you get into wet...now rthere's a whole different debate! You are a bushcrafter as long as you are expecting the worst and prepare for it and are comfortable with that, then you'll be fine! :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
i don't use walking sticks and would prefer not to take them but i rekon i could probably get awaywith with it.?

There are plenty of trees as w00dsmoke says, so I doubt you'll have a problem. What you could do if you think you're going to be camping on an exposed section is to pick up a suitable stick (or two) along the way and use that. Adapt and use what you find, attaching to fence posts is another great idea. Take a head net and midge repellent just in case - you never know we may get a freak heatwave :lmao:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i slept on the side of fan fawr in the brecon beacons in a tarp and bivvy bag. no trees about, just used 2 walking poles, held up to the wind and heavy downpour fine

without the walking poles i wouldn't have had another option (without a LOT of hassle)

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Surplus German shelter bivi poles, excellent, break down small with pegs in own bag, still using a set after 30 years and I just got an extra set for No. 1 daughter recently for £15.95 from:

http://www.essexsurplus.com/campingtents.html
if link doesn't work just google essex surplus!

Only downside is you get the heavy canvas bivi with it, a good source of flecktarn material but it is only printed on one side (at least mine is!) so a reasonable colour on the reverse for other projects.

Used with bungees in the forces, now tend to use paracord!

No links to site, seller, etc.......
Just a long time satisfied customer!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd take a tent, or walking poles for a tarp. Walking poles are a great invention, wish I'd had them 30 years ago, perhaps my knee would not be so bad today

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive seen nesting poles about, but cant recall where

I was going to make a set of my own, out of an assortment of tent poles, but I now need them for my ridge tent extention.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
^^^I use a similar config if there's no trees about or if they're not close enough together.

I normally use walking poles if I'm doing a distance, so use them.

One config I like it to have one end of the tarp flush to the floor and the other end raised up - head in the low end, feet sticking at the raised end (with a bivvy bag, natch)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE