Using a prusik to tension a guyline?

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Just been on the Woodsmoke Trailbreaker - which was great by the way (top tip - take some work gloves and, if you're heading back south, consider driving round Windermere instead of getting the ferry, I had to queue for ages).

Ben showed us how to use a prusik knot to tension the guylines at the corners of a hootchie. The same knot was used to pull out the edges along the ridge line.

Thought I'd got it but now can't remember, can anyone enlighten me?

I know how to tie prusiks where you use a loop of cord but this is specifically how to tie it where one end if already fixed.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
beamdune said:
Seems like posting my question inspired my to put the right words into google :eek:

I think it was the 'end of rope' prusik shown here
http://www2.uiuc.edu/unit/armyrotc/program/basicknots.html
That's a nice link... :)

I just get the ridge line fastened through all of the loops on the basha EXCEPT the loops on each end.......then I do a prusik on a short length of cord just beyond the end of the basha,..... then thread the untied ends through the end basha loop joining them with an overhand knot. This pulls the basha nice and taut and has worked well for me. I've also seen people not miss out the end basha loops with their ridgeline but just attach and extra cord with a prusik (in the way I've described above) to the end loop and the ridge line....that works as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE