Uses of Hazel

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
On a recent trip to the wilderness I returned with a large lump of hazel that I want to use for a couple of projects, but I underestimated the size of the tree and have more wood than I thought.

Most info I can find on the use of hazel talk about it's pliability and use for weaving things, but given the trunk I have is about 4" across in places, it's not really suitable for that sort of use.

What other things is hazel timber good for?

Is this a wood that is best worked fresh and green, or should I be putting it in the shed for a season or 3?

Thanks

J

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As has been said, carve it while it's green - spoons, spatulas, spreaders and so on - but, once seasoned for "a season or 3", it makes brilliant firewood, burning with little smoke.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Kitchenware. It's great. you can also use the smallest branches for making placeholders. Mantain the bark and whit only the ends and a central space for name. Pyrography could add a touch of rustic to the object

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Wonderful for walking sticks, IME. A skinny little stick that doesn't look like it will hold its own weight is strong enough for an adult. Lovely and light to use as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE