Uses of Cordage?

M

Mentalpatient

Hi there, I'm new here and have been making cordage for a while, but haven't found many projects where I have needed it...

so I was wondering what you use cordage for
(so you can inspire me!)

so far I have made a small woven basket
(to put eggs in from our 2 'girls' in the garden so they don't make the kitchen worktop dirty)
also a cordage wrapped hatchet handle for chopping wood for barbecues and bonfires

but what do you make from cordage?

Will Rogers

M

Mentalpatient

Hi Will and welcome ,
Surely you must have need of a lassoo :D
Sorry , I'm sure more serious replies will be along soon .
Cheers , Trev .

actually a lassoo could come in handy... my chickens keep escaping (or EGGscaping... oh dear!)
I have also thought of trying to weave it to make a fabric to use for a folding stool (like the 3 legged stools in camping shops)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Repair & modification of clothing and equipment, creation of snares and hunting tools and for measurement whilst tracking, let alone things like clothes drying lines and camp furniture.

ATB

Ogri the trog

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
/creation of snares and hunting tools/ Ogri the trog

Can you expand on that please, Ogri? I have used snares made from cordage and natural fibres prepared in a bushcrafty sort of way, but never trusted them. I've also used strands from a broken bicycle brake cable I found, but have always reverted to brass wire.

It would be a feather in the cap to know which materials can be used to make a thin cord strong enough to inspire confidence.

Bill.

M

Mentalpatient

Thanks for the inspiration everyone. I am tempted to have go at many of these. I will try a hand at making a woven belt and bracelet first! Maybe a bag when I get adventurous!
Keep the ideas flooding in, maybe an inspirations thread could be made and stickied??

Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE