Uses for some bits I have acquired??

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Whilst trying to sort out a light wire mesh to make a remote feed meths stove pot stand I acquired a square weldmesh that was too heavy and strong. It is about 300-400mm square with wire about 2-3mm dia wire in about15-20mm gaps. Quite strong so I had thought of a grate above a fire or something for multi pots but that seems a waste somehow.

I also have access to various fibres such as mineral wool, glass wool (e-glass and another lower rated type of glass) and silica.

I can get a few other bits and wondered if there was anything useful I could make out of them?? I like stoves so thought some kind of meths stove could be cobbled together with the fibre for wicks. The mesh I have no other idea. You know when you have acquired something you think is good but not sure how you can use it?? I have that feeling so reckon you lot are more creative than me.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Last meet in Derbyshire we found a bit of weldmesh lying in the wood and used it at the bottom of an old gas bottle (which I'd cut up to make a Dutch oven) to keep the chicken from touching the hot bottle and getting burnt. Worked a treat.

I have a meths cooker for a boat which uses glass fibre wadding inside a couple of large flat cans. The cans have a hole in the middle which goes right through and a little cylinder fixed to the bottom but not quite reaching the top. From memory the cans are about two inches deep and eight inches diameter and the tube in the middle is about 1.5 inches diameter. I don't think any of the dimensions are really critical.

Some galss fibre insulation might be good for a rocket stove too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE