Useless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
An army machette, from one of those 'reliable' surplus stores. Promptly snapped in half when I tried cutting a 1" stick.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
A Thermarest something, the £100 plus one with the built in hand pump indicated by 'Hand prints' on the side tube. Used it three times and on the forth the internal seam adhesive failed and I ended up with a big grey balloon shaped thing like a stranded Whale in the tent.

I had bought it the previous Summer but not used it at all. Out of guarantee by a few weeks when it failed.
I've used a cheap bombproof self inflating Multimat, probably for hundreds of nights out since.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Tyre levers from reputable makes that snapped. Giant, schwalbe and others. Not bushcraft related but outdoors related.

Wild country hoolie 3etc tunnel tent. Pole snapped two days into a two week trip. Luckily in packed a pole repair tube from a vango, cheapo tent. The more expensive WC Hool tent didn't come with no repair kit but vango comes with na decent one. Needless to say it went back to store and took 5 weeks for store head office to authorise refund! Blacks group are pretty poor at customer service ime.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Onetigris Tigers den. Two poles short, pegs that don't fit grommets, wont stand up to wind and leaks!
Fortunately got money back but wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it. (It is light though) so that could be some distance down a cliff.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Nice thread idea.

I'd like to throw in the mix all those cheaper copies of victorinox swiss army knives. Bought one, and had one given as a prezzi, they look the same from the outside, but the built quality and steel quality are just so far off.

I'll have plenty more to add to this thread!

Reactions: wookii

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Going back a bit, 1980-ish, a Solingen sheath knife (with leather sheath). Steel pommel, antler handle, brass guard & 6" stainless steel blade. It was pretty expensive & really looked the business. It was my first 'real' knife too but turned out to be absolute ****
The convex grind was impossible to sharpen & I ended up throwing it at a tree in frustration after countless attempts to make it usable & about an inch of the the blade's tip broke off. Looking at the cross sections, there were more air bubbles than metal so hardly surprising the thing didn't take an edge.
All that glitters is not gold. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE