Useless Rip-Off Firesteels

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Has anyone bought and used those mini firesteels and how have you found them (overall length 66mm – rod length 38mm/width 4mm). Warning to members I have just bought one of those mini firesteels from ebay and it doesn’t throw a single spark whatsoever, it is absolutely useless, what a load of rubbish, I have had many firesteels so please don’t anyone suggest I am doing something wrong, this mini one I have bought simply will not throw ANY SPARK AT ALL no matter how you try. After I paid for item I received an email from ebay customer help saying the sellers listings were removed and I am not able to either leave feedback or contact seller, being concerned that it is some sort of scam to get my financial details I contacted ebay live email chat and all they would say is that they had issues with the sellers member account and couldn’t help with paypal concerns as that was run seperatley from ebay, so in other words ebays ‘help’ was actually no help at all other than telling me to go to paypal for help. The ebay seller was called agmuk01, there is another seller with a very similar name called agmuk_03 who sells the same firesteel (the similar name rings alarm bells as well). I don’t know how others get on with these mini versions all I know is that the one I bought is totally useless and the seller cannot be contacted in any way whatsoever through ebay who have removed all sellers listings (and refuse to tell me why for ‘confidential’ reasons). :mad:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Not surprised they wont tell you thats between the seller and ebay in the same way a mod here wouldnt discuss someones ban with you.. Put a paypal claim in and you will get your money back

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I know you said youve used lots of steels before but just to say the cheap chinese scrapers benefit from removing the powder coat as its rounded. Obviously you will be aware that the black layer can also prevent sparks initioally till its removed. My guess is the scraper

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Is it magnesium by any chance?

its the same as this one but from a different seller with a very similar name http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnesium...Goods_Camping_Accessories&hash=item4d146eb27e

thanks replies folks, ebay say sellers listings removed due to a breach of their account, sellers returns policy states item refunded if returned unused in original packaging which is obviously impossible as you only know if a firesteel works is when you use it, this one don't even after being scraped to kingdom come, Barethrills thanks helpful comment but i know about the coatings/scrapers/sharp angles to back of knife etc and it is the firesteel that's rubbish not the scraper (have used my trusty knife on it without success too), its the only one i have ever bought that has not worked and i have bought a few. will try dispute if only on principle, but item cannot obviously be returned 'unused'. ATB.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
seller doesnt need to be around for your refund, thats paypals job, its what their fees are for. i bought a light my fire one about 6 years ago, still going strong. you get what you pay for it seems with firesteels

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
seller doesnt need to be around for your refund, thats paypals job, its what their fees are for. i bought a light my fire one about 6 years ago, still going strong. you get what you pay for it seems with firesteels

yes perhaps, i also have light my fires and find them excellent too. i was going to put that mini one in a little tinder box but will now use an old short worn down light my fire that i have instead as i know its reliable.

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
I would say they have been suspended for some very poor service. (link to there negative feedback)
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=agmuk01&myworld=true&items=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365
If you paid through paypal, there's no need to worry about your financial details, the only details the seller gets is your address(obviously) and your paypal email address, nothing else.
Complain to Paypal they should sort it.
I would also say both sellers are the same person, both accounts set up within a few months of each other and both with the same store front, Hmmm.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
It's a Magnesium rod. It won't create a spark but a pile of shavings will take a spark and work like tinder. They have wrongly advertised the product.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
It's a Magnesium rod. It won't create a spark but a pile of shavings will take a spark and work like tinder. They have wrongly advertised the product.

That's what I was thinking - it's used to produce shavings, which are then lit using a the sparks from a firesteel. Although the ebay link above does state the item will produce the sparks; therefore incorrectly advertised product.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The photo shows it sparking, looks more like the description should not have magnesium in the title.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Joonsy, ive a little one lying around much like the one you bought. It came free with some stuff i got from Sonni of this parish. If you'd like it just let me have your addy and ill get it in the post to you.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Joonsy, ive a little one lying around much like the one you bought. It came free with some stuff i got from Sonni of this parish. If you'd like it just let me have your addy and ill get it in the post to you.

what a wonderful offer, thankyou so much Barethrills but i will not take of advantage, so refreshing to have conatct with genuine people, you have put a smile back on my face. :) best wishes and thankyou very much.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Did you pay £1.99 for it like in the eBay sale you linked to? If so I think I'd just chuck it away and notch it up to experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE