Useful Bushcraft areas around the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Sorry if it's been asked before, but if a person were to travel for a backwoods camp of a week or so within the UK, where would you suggest?

I'm thinking of doing something like this in Scotland or somewhere at some point, but I have no idea of the legalities of the different areas etc. so any advice would be ace.

Thanks a lot!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Depends what you want but there's miles and miles and miles of unused woodland and heath land belonging to the MoD all around you.....why walk miles when you live in the middle of some of the best land available to play in? ? ? :?:

From Ash to Pirbright....Aldershot to Longmore.....Nap Hill to Sandhurst......see if you can get from one side to another without seeing the M3.....lol :eek:):

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
In Scotland you can wild camp pretty much anywhere and you are allowed to light fires too. Of course people may still give you strange looks but it is alowed. I always recomend the Loch Lomond area because I like the woodland. Since I got my canoe I am really taken with the islands as they are more isolated and really interesting. Let me know when you are coming up and we may be able to meet up.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Yeah, Bambo; I usually do my thang in the Ash Common/Ranges area, but I'm looking for somewhere further afield... somewhere where I don't have the option of running back to my Nan's house if it all goes wrong! XD

Thanks for the info, MagiKelly; I'll probably do that long camp with my friend during the next summer holiday as one last display of awesomeness before we head off to university etc. It'll certainly be an experience to remember!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
bambodoggy said:
Depends what you want but there's miles and miles and miles of unused woodland and heath land belonging to the MoD all around you.....why walk miles when you live in the middle of some of the best land available to play in? ? ? :?:
To find out more about accessing Ministry of Defence land and the type of activies they permit:

http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/access/index.htm

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
sure i just rang a number on there site the book is called (WALKS on ministry of defence lands) and is very good with contact numbers things of historical interest and maps
MAL

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I have no idea of the legalities of the different areas etc. so any advice would be ace.

In England and Wales you are going to need the permission of the land owner to camp and have fires.

In the brecon beacons unless you can get in contact with farmers then there is little chance of you wild camping. There are 2 sites which are set appart for wild camping in the national park itself. One doesn't allow fires, and the other one allows fires but you can only stay 1 night..... it just a rest stop on the mountain path.... no facilities, just a flat bit of ground by the river.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE