Use for wood shavings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Thanks for the offer BILLy but keeping you warm is probably just as good a use for your chippings as I could find for them. I have clients gardens that I could use chippings as a mulch but I was really after crafty uses for them as I previously used to just compost them. If you were stuck for a way to get rid of them I could possibly help but as I say, It sounds like you have a fine use already.
When you say you use it on the fire. Do you just add it sparingly so as not to smother the fire or compress it into blocks some how?

om2ae

Sep 2, 2006
Luton
Hi

If it is saw dust, rather than shavings you could make your own woodcrete bird and bat boxes, if you google woodcrete there is a method for making it somewhere but can't find it at the mo.

From what I remember you soak the shavings/dust- let it dry
Then re-wet it with washing up liquid added
mix with cement
pour into a mould of chipbroad or ply (this has to be wetted as well)
let it dry and it can then be sanded, drilled and cut

I'm going to be doing this over winter to make bat boxes for the local group

Martin

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks for the offer BILLy but keeping you warm is probably just as good a use for your chippings as I could find for them. I have clients gardens that I could use chippings as a mulch but I was really after crafty uses for them as I previously used to just compost them. If you were stuck for a way to get rid of them I could possibly help but as I say, It sounds like you have a fine use already.
When you say you use it on the fire. Do you just add it sparingly so as not to smother the fire or compress it into blocks some how?
"I too have loads of chain saw chips from cutting wood, I have about 8 bags of oak, and was wondering if you could do anything with them, " Sorry for the miss understanding in my post, they where not offered to you but I to was asking the same question on your post, very sorry for butting in like that.

I have a multi stove burner that I have put in my house so when it is glowing and the thermo is above best opperation level I just put some on sparingly, not to smoother it but just to die it down a bit.
Thx Bill

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
There is a device that compresses woodshavings and newspapers etc into solid blocks for firewood. Its designed for newspaper and cardboard but works equally well with woodshavings. Think its called something like Eco- Paper Logmaker, seen it on Amazon before. Maybe thats the answer?
Cheers
Ness :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE