US poncho liner mod question....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
has anyone ever added a zip to a US poncho liner, so it can be zipped like a very lightweight sleeping bag? and if you have, where did you buy the very long zip from......?

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Not recently but Point North or Pennine Outdoor are good suppliers of all sorts of outdoor materials including long zips.

Last edited:

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Some time ago I did add press studs round the edges. It needs a bit of thought, a the way I've done it means you can fold and fasten it with the long edges together or fold and fasten with the short edges.

I use it outside my doss bag so I don't need full length closure, personally I think it's a bit too thin for a sleeping bag but ok as a wrap or an extra layer.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have some 8'6" (2.6m) sleeping bag zips if you're interested. 5mm coil, double pull slider, separating zip in cream.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The ties on it were actually meant for tying it to the poncho (through the grommets0 and then using the snaps (press studs) on the poncho to turn it into said sleeping bag.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
I've never done it myself, but while in the Army I knew several people that took their poncho liners to some of the local alterations shops off post and had a zipper added to turn into a lightweight sleeping bag. They used it in the summer and mild weather so that they didn't have to pack the larger and heavier issue bag. If you have trouble sourcing the zipper, or decide you want a little heavier one, then Wiggys has one. http://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/poncho-liner-with-zipper/

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never done it myself, but while in the Army I knew several people that took their poncho liners to some of the local alterations shops off post and had a zipper added to turn into a lightweight sleeping bag......

Why pay the prices for an off base shop to do it when the troops in parachute shop will do it for a six pack?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Find a business which does custom upolstery, cushions, custom cars, boat covers and so on. I dealt with one, they got all sorts of zipper stuff in 100' spools.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE