US Marine swap identification please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Cheers, Lister. Just looked it up. Worth around £150. Not bad. Don't know whether to keep or sell it. I don't need it as I have my trusty old Mora Clipper!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That should be a Strider DB-L (officially - Knife, Fixed, Camo) going to the NSN on the blade - 1095-01-531-5023

I amazed that that piece of showy kit has been given an NSN. Camo blade?! Crikey. They will be issuing those umbrella hats soon as well no doubt....

Not saying it isn't a good knife (frankly I have no knowledge of it), but a camo blade?!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I amazed that that piece of showy kit has been given an NSN. Camo blade?! Crikey. They will be issuing those umbrella hats soon as well no doubt....

Not saying it isn't a good knife (frankly I have no knowledge of it), but a camo blade?!

Almost everything has an NSN. Thet can be issued (the NSN) locally by the unit supply organization if the particular unit needs or wants something not in the normal supply chain. My squadron issued locally purchsed Buck 110s back in 1980 but they were obliged to give them a local NSN. Usually though the local #s have a specific number within the sequence that identifies it as such.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Almost everything has an NSN. Thet can be issued (the NSN) locally by the unit supply organization if the particular unit needs or wants something not in the normal supply chain. My squadron issued locally purchsed Buck 110s back in 1980 but they were obliged to give them a local NSN. Usually though the local #s have a specific number within the sequence that identifies it as such.

Why not a camo blade? I've seen rifles with camo barrels and stocks.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Why not a camo blade? I've seen rifles with camo barrels and stocks.

I can understand why you would cam up your rifle- you have it on show all the time, they are black, full of straight lines and shiney bits- and a lot bigger than a knife. The knife on the other hand will spend 99.999% of the time in its sheath, generally only coming out in a non tactical situation. If ever it needs to be drawn in anger, things would be pretty desperate and a camo effect blade I doubt would present much of an advantage. I would imagine the 6ft bloke holding it might be a little more visible....

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

I didn't know that- thanks. I assumed it was all done rather centrally.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can understand why you would cam up your rifle- you have it on show all the time, they are black, full of straight lines and shiney bits- and a lot bigger than a knife. The knife on the other hand will spend 99.999% of the time in its sheath, generally only coming out in a non tactical situation. If ever it needs to be drawn in anger, things would be pretty desperate and a camo effect blade I doubt would present much of an advantage. I would imagine the 6ft bloke holding it might be a little more visible....

I don't disagree with you; I see no need for it either but neither do I see a reason NOT to do it if (as I suspect) it was a marketting strategy used by the manufacturer, It may not be needed but then again, neither does it really detract from usefulness.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE