Uralic hunter. bouncing arrow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
That’s interesting. I’d have assumed that the bounce(s) might alert the target that they have incoming.

Just needs the Dambusters music and we’re in business.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, that's cool, I can imagine how affective it is once you've mastered the bouncing and can judge that accurately. He sounds cool too!
I did wonder who was retrieving the arrows :naughty:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Yeah, that's cool, I can imagine how affective it is once you've mastered the bouncing and can judge that accurately. He sounds cool too!
I did wonder who was retrieving the arrows :naughty:
me too. i thought he was going to attach a fishing line to get them back x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Skipping stones on water ("Ducks and Drakes") were also used for hunting - hence the name!
John can you explain that please?. Ime thinking duck cos the duck might duck and miss and drake cos a drake was a name for a type of cannon which would be a hit but I really have no idea x .

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
A Duck is a common aquatic bird, a Drake is the Male Duck....
John, sarcasm is not nice.. Here is what you wrote
"Skipping stones on water ("Ducks and Drakes") were also used for hunting - hence the name!"
So my question was and still is "hence the name for what?"

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
A Duck is a common aquatic bird, a Drake is the Male Duck....
John, sarcasm is not nice.. Here is what you wrote
"Skipping stones on water ("Ducks and Drakes") were also used for hunting - hence the name!"
So my question was and still is "hence the name for what?":)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not sarcasm - "Ducks and Drakes" is a very common name for the game of skipping stones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are now on my ignore list!

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
Referring to the video description: „In this documentarish video we will explore, craft and experiment with these rarely known but amazingly clever arrow inventions whose usage has been documented among Khanty and Samoyedic peoples.”

Anthropological lesson of the day

The original Uralic speakers (main branches being Finnic, Ugric, and Samoyedic) were Mongolid urtype of Sibirid type; the Khanty (Ob-Ugric subbranch speakers) often still are and usually with the subtype Ugrid (a neotenised form of the Uralid) lesser so with the Uralid (the most primal subtype), the Samoyeds almost always are and usually with the subtype Samoyedid (i think that this was what the original Sámi were, still possibly found in Finnish Sámi).

My cephalotype is a flattened form of the Uralid called the Chukchid being (to my knowledge) the only Tungusian and East Siberian Sibirid, with this also being found in (at least) Athabaskans in Alaska, Yukon, BC, (&c,) and the Four Corners area (Navajo and Apache).

As i have nothing better to do whilst having my cuppa!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Some years ago a few hobbyists tested those against some floating rubber ducks with somewhat terminal results. I became a believer after seeing their short video on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE