Unknown fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Hi

Second time of trying to post message and pics. of a fungi I do not know.
Can anyone id it please and is it of any use in bushcraft etc.

thanks. Tom.
Tom.

Obviously done something wrong but I don't know what! Help!!!

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks, clear as mud!

Basically you need to upload your pictures to a photograph hosting site such as Photobucket, Picasa or Flikr all of which are free for basic levels.

Once uploaded you can copy a link from the picture there and paste it into any thread you create and the picture will display.

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Ok. I have uploaded them to photobucket and I can see boxes on the right of the screen containing various writings that seem to be to do with sending them
but, nothing as to which one to use, seems as though some of the writings are hidden at the ends of the boxes and, no instructions on how to do it. Can anyone assist please?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ok. I have uploaded them to photobucket and I can see boxes on the right of the screen containing various writings that seem to be to do with sending them
but, nothing as to which one to use, seems as though some of the writings are hidden at the ends of the boxes and, no instructions on how to do it. Can anyone assist please?

Here's a screenshot from my PC with Photobucket open

The red arrow shows you the code you need to copy and paste into your thread.

You can usually do this by placing the cursor within the box and left click and it will automatically copy. If it doesn't then you need to highlight the entire link then copying it.

Once you've done that right click in your post whilst composing it and select paste. The image code is then transfered into your post and the picture will display when you post it onto the forum.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Piptoporus betulina. Tinder strop fungus, can be used as a natural 'elastoplast' too.

Grows on birch, and it's a useful one :D

M

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
When you click on the Image box on photobucket as per Mesquites post above does it momentarily say Copied ?

When you paste that Image box content into your new post does it show all the text string in your post ?

If so I wonder if you need to change the settings on your photobucket account to make it "public" so that the links will work and the pics be visible here or wherever else you post them ? Can't recall how you do this but will be a setting somewhere !

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
'Eh up-its suddenly appeared out of the ether-well one photo has the other one hasn't yet!!!! Anyhow, for now there is one to see. Someones already guessed at what it is and I suppose they are right unless anyone else knows differently. Its in great condition for the time of year I suppose and it is a whopper. 7" across, 6" back to front and a good 3" thick in places. I know if it is whats been suggested that it is good for making an ember, for stropping a knife blade and for stemming blood from a small wound plus although apparently edible, it won't be on my sandwich for lunch or in an omelette. I believe it has other medicinal uses, a bushcraft 'elastoplast' being among them. Anyone tried any of this or used it in any other useful ways?

Tom.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've just realised one problem you had is your post count until now want under 10.

There's a restriction on new people posting pictures with less than 10 posts. All the pictures have to be vetted by a mod prior to them going public which was why Toddy was able to see it before everyone else :)

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for that-wasn't aware. I did upload 2 actually but no matter-its identified and my first step on a long road. Think i'll have to join as full member soon to get full benefit too. In the meantime I would like to know all there is to know about my first 'pluck.' There are hundreds more there but I only want one. Its an entirely natural, old deciduous hillside wood and so far I've seen birch, oak, ash, hazel, the odd scots pine, plenty of holly, ivy vines aplenty wrapping various dead and dying trees.

thanks

Tom.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds like a beautiful bit of woodland :D I live with trees like that just outside the back gate. It's never boring, always changing, always something interesting to see. Incredibly useful too :approve:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE