Universal oil - is there anything?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used my old carbon steel bladed opinel last night in the allotment. It has the typical patina that they develop (rusted up after I had left it in my rucsack for a month). Anyway as I was late for work this morning I decided I would give it a clean up so rubbed all but a little staining of the rust off to remove the evidence of neglect then looked around for some oil to use before folding it back. I only had vegetable oil and olive oil for cooking, but it started my brain working (or a close approximation).

Is there such a thing as an oil that can be used for knives, lubrication in a wide rnge of applications (such as on a bike) and still be used for cooking? I've heard someone once post that an oil that I took to be used in say Chinese wok based cooking could be used on knife blades before storage. I just wondered if there is an oil that could be carried on say a long journey that is easily obtained that has a wide range of uses including cooking.

Strange query I know but I have been getting kind of strange ideas of late and this is sufficiently normal to post on here. The idea came form my way of thinking on gear to carry in that averything must have more than one use.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
err -- how about olive oil, get straight plain olive oil not virgin/extra virgin as it has a higher burn point so is better for frying. Only been used for a few thousand years as a multipurpose oil.

If you ant something less viscous try grape seed oil. Bit like a thin mineral oil, but high smoke/burn point so good for frying but thin enough for salad dressing etc. Acually, it make a rather nice dressing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Hey, i've got olive oil stored in bottles for years too and it's not rancid but being in a bottle/jug and being in a blade exposed to the elements it's very different...

But that's just my 2 cents

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Been usimg it for that too - not had a problem. I use sesame oil on my axe handles as well - gives a great colour and smells great!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE