Universal Basic Income

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
9-5 grind job
being depressed at a monday morning
waiting for friday to arrive
knowing that having children that was forced upon you by societal expectations
which then end up costing hundred of thousands
having to buy a bigger house etc for them
you end up having more expenses
which means you end up being trapped in a job you hate as you cant afford to leave.

The above doesnt apply to me but I can appreciate how it could to many.
personally I went self employed 10 years ago and went from 5 1/2 days a week to 1-2 days a week for the same income, blood pressure went from 195 to 110

modern expenses and expectations can lead to huge financial stress and unhappiness

i think the idea of UBI meaning that the 500 can cover basic expenses
so that those sick, or unhappy in work can can a break, reskill, go to college etc and be in a better place sunds a good idea.

its a safety net. bit like SEISS and furlough...

id be happy to have 20% tax starting at a lower amount rather than 12.5k if it meant £500/month UBI
it wouldnt change my spending habits at all.
I know a lot of other people who would simply be able to sleep better having less worries
which would have a nock on to reducing burden on healthcare system etc.

if you didnt need to prove looking for work to get £500 UBI rather than jobseekers allowance
you wouldnt need to visit doll office to be demeaned and get chastised for not looking for work.

people who need the money would still want jobs tho, as people want their sky sports and starbucks..

but for people who want bread, baby formula and essentials, it could mean a lot

UBI is interesting concept.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Money is a illusion it's worthless , it's a modern construct

Imagedude I think is referring to the concept of the 'Great Reset' which is a big old rabbit hole of " interesting progressive thoughts" mostly driven by Klaus Schwab

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sadly, my bank disagrees and so I’m still having to pay the mortgage with a modern construct.

To be fair , your need for housing - also a modern construct is just a modern social construct.

Need to think outside the box my man.

:)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I humbly suggest that money is roughly equivalent to energy.

I humbly suggest money is roughly equivalent to Human labour.

Which I know could be considered to be splitting hairs.

A Roadworker will expel a lot of energy during the course of a day and receive a modest amount of money,

A solicitor will expel far far less energy per se but receive far more money for that work.

So money equalling energy I don't think is a good example.

It is an interesting topic however,

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
what is a modern construct is the need for Large housing and trappings that go with house
as in children, all their aid for activities
sky tv

keeping other family members happy by expense of visiting them
holidays and expectation to take one each year,
taking loosely related family on holiday with you etc

Reactions: TeeDee and Kadushu

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
what is a modern construct is the need for Large housing and trappings that go with house
as in children, all their aid for activities
sky tv

keeping other family members happy by expense of visiting them
holidays and expectation to take one each year,
taking loosely related family on holiday with you etc
I’m going to opt out of Christmas this year, that modern social construct argument is a winner!

Reactions: TeeDee

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A Roadworker will expel a lot of energy during the course of a day and receive a modest amount of money,

A solicitor will expel far far less energy per se but receive far more money for that work.
Although that doesn't take into account all the energy in the system, i.e. the fact the solicitor has had energy input for several years (training) for the work produced whereas a roadworker may have very little. Actually a roadworker with several years experience can earn a fair bit.

Reactions: TeeDee and Kadushu

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I’m going to opt out of Christmas this year, that modern social construct argument is a winner!
Did this some years ago, with the exception of dinner, which has probably become a tad more elaborate as a result. No children left in the family and none of the rest of us miss it.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset

Ive had a lt of clients say they had a better christmas last year because of lockdown they saved money with travel expenses and all the stress of seeing felatives they didnt want to see, and a lot of people didnt exchange gifts, again saving money....

Reactions: Athos

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Although that doesn't take into account all the energy in the system, i.e. the fact the solicitor has had energy input for several years (training) for the work produced whereas a roadworker may have very little. Actually a roadworker with several years experience can earn a fair bit.

Maybe. But surely never as much as a solicitor ? You'd agree with that wouldn't you?

And I totally agree it doesn't take into account training, experience or education, - My point was that if Money is equal to either Labour or Energy - Labour is more fitting. If it was ALL based upon energy it wouldn't take into account other things.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Very interesting quote from Keir Starmer, who said that if the £20 a week was taken away, from the Universal Credit payment a person would have to work an extra 9 hours on minimum wage to make up the downfall in income. Does he know what the minimum wage is? I don't think it's £2.23 per hour .

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
Unless he is factoring in taxes and travel as the additional costs of doing the work.

From 1 April 2021, National Minimum Wages and National Living Wage Rates will increase as follows:

From £8.72 to £8.91 per hour for workers aged 23 and over

From £8.20 to £8.36 an hour for workers aged 21 – 22

From £6.45 to £6.56 an hour for workers aged 18 – 20

From £4.55 to £4.62 an hour for workers aged 16 - 17

From £4.15 to £4.30 an hour for apprentices

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
More UBI & CBDC goodness.

< doff Tin foil cap before watching but take it off once you realise its all becoming a reality >

• Sad
Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE