Unique SHING "Bush Baby"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
This is a SHING "Bush Baby" scandi grind in 01 - Shing made a limited run of numbered blades back in 2006 (9 scandi and 9 flat ground and this is #1 of 9 from the scandi run).

DSC00229.jpg

The scales are a one off by my good friend David Hull, David isn't a member on here but is well known on the British Blades forum.
I commissioned the scales to resemble the checkering on a gun stock and they are totally unique.

The scales are Anjan (Harwickia binata)

A rusty red timber used in furniture making and turnery. Excellent for small turning due to its high density. A beautiful timber to work producing a glass-like finish. Limited worldwide availability.

Common Names: anjan, papri, acha, calam, katudugu

The Tree: Hardwickia binata is a moderate-sized to large tree, up to 24-30 m tall, girth 1.8-3m with a clean cylindrical bole up to 12-15 m; graceful, drooping slender branches.
Characteristically found in teak forests, dry savannah and degraded dry deciduous forests.The tree is distributed in isolated patches, varying in extent in the drier parts of the Indian Peninsula.

Uses: The wood is some of the hardest and heaviest in India. The sapwood is small and white, the heartwood dark reddish-brown streaked with purple; used for beams and mine props, bridge and house construction, agricultural implements, carts and wheel work. It is close grained, difficult to season but fairly durable.

I made the sheath and the set has never been used.

DSC00226.jpg

£105 delivered by RMSD in UK.

SOLD

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Blade is 3mm thick,
Overall length is approx 185mm,
Blade length is approx 80mm.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Someone asked if the checkering was on both scales, it certainly is :) .

Here's the other side

DSC00187.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Thanks for letting me know it arrived safely and glad you like it, it's one i was reluctant to part with and im glad it's found a good home with someone who appreciates it.
All the best

Flasheart

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 19, 2008
Staffordshire
Just used it to make some feathersticks (fuzz sticks) for the fire outside. Worked a dream.

The grip perfectly matches my Semi auto.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE