Union Flag Avatar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If someone knows how to turn my avatar up the other way please do so.

You mean like this?

Gbritain-1.gif

:D

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
LOL Tis a simple thing to do.

Just right click on your avatar, select save picture then edit it in some photo editing suite then upload it to photobucket, or do it on photo bucket then save. You can then use it as a custom avatar.

Easie peasey as they say :)

Nope, lost me. I guess it will stay upside down!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's easier than al that. Go to the picture up there and right click on it. It has loads of stuff, you want Save Picture As... And save to somewhere you can find it again! I suggest your desktop. You don't need to mess photoshopping it, we'll all take your word for it that it is flying at half mast! Then go to your User CP>Edit Avatar and upload image from your computer. The forum software and your 'puter will do the rest.

Any probs, just holler!

:D

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Sorry to appear thick but I can't see any difference looking at the reversed (vertically) flags in Steve27752's post! The diagonals are still laid out the same (i.e. top right one has red above white).

Am I missing something really obvious here?! Or just having a light yellow head covering moment!

Bob

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Sorry to appear thick but I can't see any difference looking at the reversed (vertically) flags in Steve27752's post! The diagonals are still laid out the same (i.e. top right one has red above white).

Am I missing something really obvious here?! Or just having a light yellow head covering moment!

Bob

It's to do with the position of the stripes in relation to the hoist. The white band of the Scottish flag should be on top of the red band of the Irish flag where the flag meets the hoist. The flag in the avatar would be the right way up of the hoist were on the other side.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This should make it clear:

british-flag-640.jpg

See how the diagonal red band has a thick white stripe above and a thinner white stripe below it at the flag pole side (left hand side of the picture)? That's how it should be. If the thick band is on the bottom, it's wrong.

;)

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
forgive my ignorance, is it just being flown from the wrong side? if it where flown from right to left wouldn't it be the right way round!

just tell me to shut up if i'm wrong.:confused:

Adam.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
forgive my ignorance, is it just being flown from the wrong side? if it where flown from right to left wouldn't it be the right way round!

just tell me to shut up if i'm wrong.:confused:

Adam.

I won't put it that strongly,
but if the flag was flying to the other side of the pole, the thick white stripe would remain adjacent to the pole, When no pole is evident, it it always assumed that the pole is to the left of the flag.

ATB

Ogri he trog

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
All flags have a "Hoist End" and a "Fly End".

The Hoist End goes next to the flagpole (attached to the "Halyard") and the "Fly End" is the bit that flaps freely in the wind.

If you see an upside down Unon Flag, It could be possible that the flag has been flown with the Fly End attached to the Halyard, but it's unlikely because they are usually manufactured with the attachment points on the correct end of the flag.

However, it is obviously possible to attach the flag upside-down, resulting in the thick disagonal white stripe appearing above the diagonal red stripe at the Hoist End

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I belive there is a strong sense of associating national pride with nationlist views, which are quite seperate. One is being proud of your country, the other is not liking anyone elses.

On a trip to Scotland recently I stood on the border and noted that St Andrew`s Cross was flying next to the flag of Northumberland. I had to question myself as to why St George`s Cross was not flying there as a National boundary overshadows a county boundary.

I feel that the continued assosciation of the Union Flag (Jack only at sea) and St George Cross with nationalist feelings will only subside when people start to embrase them again and not feel guitly about being proud of where you live. Scotland and Wales (never been to Ireland) have many flags flying and it is wonderful to see. In the US, it is great to see their flag flying at events and important buidlings. The same with many many countries in Europe and around the world, they are there at events and important places and you can see people are proud of them.

A national identiy is not a nationalist idenity.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
I belive there is a strong sense of associating national pride with nationlist views, which are quite seperate. One is being proud of your country, the other is not liking anyone elses.

On a trip to Scotland recently I stood on the border and noted that St Andrew`s Cross was flying next to the flag of Northumberland. I had to question myself as to why St George`s Cross was not flying there as a National boundary overshadows a county boundary.

I feel that the continued assosciation of the Union Flag (Jack only at sea) and St George Cross with nationalist feelings will only subside when people start to embrase them again and not feel guitly about being proud of where you live. Scotland and Wales (never been to Ireland) have many flags flying and it is wonderful to see. In the US, it is great to see their flag flying at events and important buidlings. The same with many many countries in Europe and around the world, they are there at events and important places and you can see people are proud of them.

A national identiy is not a nationalist idenity.

Couldn't agree more, the powers that be should remove the british thing from the forms as well, i am sure that if you are scottish or welsh you dont put british, so we should have English there to.

Adam.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Couldn't agree more, the powers that be should remove the british thing from the forms as well, i am sure that if you are scottish or welsh you dont put british, so we should have English there to.

Adam.

Well, they should as they are British. Scottish isn't a nationality, is it? Nor is being Welsh, Irish or English.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Well, they should as they are British. Scottish isn't a nationality, is it? Nor is being Welsh, Irish or English.

that may be true mate, but i have on many occasions heard our highland friends tell someone they are scottish and not british, i dont no the facts but why do we call the countries by their name if they dont exist as a nationality? not being sarcastic just intrigued.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
one more question, if scottish and welsh arent nationalities why do we have different national sports teams for some events, like rugby and football etc when we should just have 'Great Britain' i think you would have a hard time with that one in the Valleys mate.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
one more question, if scottish and welsh arent nationalities why do we have different national sports teams for some events, like rugby and football etc when we should just have 'Great Britain' i think you would have a hard time with that one in the Valleys mate.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
that may be true mate, but i have on many occasions heard our highland friends tell someone they are scottish and not british, i dont no the facts but why do we call the countries by their name if they dont exist as a nationality? not being sarcastic just intrigued.

No, I know exactly what you mean! The Scottish guys used to do it when I was in the Army, they have a very fierce pride in their country and so they should. Unfortunately, people misunderstand nationality and country of birth. They're two different things altogether! Look at the front of your passport,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE