Unboxing and foirst impressions :- Cumulus Quantum ultralight sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ordered from downbags.co.uk (No affiliation)

Thankfully it came 'lofted' in its mesh storage bag.

Included was the bag itself, made from bright blue Pertex Quantum, ripstop, and DWR treated filled with 200g of 870 fill power white Polish goose down.

The large mesh storage bag, which means I won't need to purloin another pillowcase from the linen cupboard, and

The pertex stuffsack. Impossibly small. Actually smaller than the stuffsack for my down jacket. I wasn't sure that I could get the bag in there, but I could, and it looks ripe for further compression if required. About the same size as a kilo of sugar in the stuffsack alone.

On extracting the bag, I was impressed with the quality of the stitching, there is no free down anywhere at all, and then it struck me how light the bag feels. At 530g, including the stuffsack it really felt like I was waving a bin liner around. There was no discernible weight at all.

It's a sleeping bag, so I had to have a little lie down.

I'm not small, 6ft 3, knocking on for 16 stone, and this is an ultralight, close cut bag, but there is plenty of room in there for me. Lying in it, there is very little impresson of any weight pressing down on you, which goes some way to mitigating any claustropgobic sensations. After a minute or two, I was getting very warm indeed, I was inside, but I think this bodes well for the great outdoors. (It is rated down to freezing)

One area where I may encounter problems is from the differential fill of the bag, there being more down in the top half than beneath. I am a bit of a 'side sleeper' so may have to train myself out of this.

All in all, I can't believe how warm, well made, and light it is. And it's British made, which is a rare thing indeed these days. Not the cheapest of bags, but you get what you pay for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE