Ulu's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes I use one, it's incredibly useful. Mine's not anything very special though like an import, it's just an old herb chopper that was made of a steel good enough to be reground and sharpened. Brilliant for bark :)

Toddy

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I have a mezzaluna (a bit like this one http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36167&catitemid= ) which is pretty much the same as an ulu. It's great for chopping herbs and for dicing vegetables but I find it very limited for anything else. With your hand positioned over the top of the blade I find that its difficult to see what you're cutting and with anything that is thicker than you can cut with a rocking motion then you have to use a whole forearm movement to cut. With a normal kitchen knife the movement is more of a wrist movement with your cutting hand stabilised by an elbow on the edge of the board or tucked in to your side - this means you can chop faster more safely. Probably wouldn't make much difference to most people I suppose but I do love working with a large bladed (10 or 12 inch) traditional cooks knife.

george

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Probably wouldn't make much difference to most people I suppose but I do love working with a large bladed (10 or 12 inch) traditional cooks knife.
george[/QUOTE]

Too much pressure on aching wrists; but the ulu I hold gripped in my palm like a comb and find it works very well. I tried it for scraping hides and it made a very tedious job easier. Needs to be sharp. There's definately a knack to it though, one of my friends had been trying for ages to get the hang of it and has finally thrown hers away.

Toddy

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Probably dead right Toddy - there will be things that the ulu/mezzaluna are suited to much better than a cooks knife, but equally I've never seen the point in trying to learn the knack for using it to do something I can do well with a normal knife.

George

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you know that is *such* a good point. How often have we seen someone constantly trying the latest tool, gadget, brand of whatever, always convinced that this is just what they need for a better perfomance, when practice with just being good with what they have would be a far better option?
I'm comfortable and confident with the tools I use, and it makes me reluctant to buy more on the off chance that they might be better. Doesn't stop me looking when I'm aware of a lack though.
I'm looking at billhooks just now....an axe is just too obviously a chopper, while a good billhook will do all a small axe will and give me other potential uses too. Well, at least for the sort of things I do, it will.

Cheers,
Toddy

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
www.ulumaker.com is my current supllier. I bought one of the very first production ulus in Anchorage in 1974. They were simple S/S affairs with a walnut handle and last forever. Then I started seeing ancient slate ulus in archaeological sites and in stores everywhere with cheap nasty red chinese knockoffs. They make a great survival kit item.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I have one that I just brought home yesterday. It is part of the estate that I'm liquidating and after using it to do some kitchen work, I decided to go ahead and deduct it's value from my commission. Nice tool and it's getting a permanent place with my field gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE