ultimate resource

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
the dead nettle

there are several varieties of dead nettle, some have purple flowers but mostly white flowered round where i live, dont know if that differs,

i dont know if dead nettles and stinging nettles have the same weight for weight nutritional values but if anyway similar then dead nettles are awsome due to lack of a sting, easy to spot, easy to gather, easy to cook.

I know of no food that is so abundant and so easy to get at,

boil as with stinging nettles, plus easier to eat raw than the stinging variety.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
another one with beer conotations, ouch my liver lol

you will need to google for a pic my descrption wont mean much.

I suppose this should be classed as a herb but not certain of this,

grows in marsh land, and theres a fair crop of it near where i live, so if you got any bog or marsh land near you, keep an eye out, because this plant is a loverly flavour enhancer, and superb for the brewers amongst you.
pick the leaves between april and july goes well in soups and stews and also good when used to add flavour to roasting meats, very good with the gamier meats, hare especially.

where it does grow it seems to thrive so if you got a crop near you put it in your diary and remember for next year and so on.(good idea for most finds)

ive got a set of four maps with all the local fruit trees plants etc ive found, but my memory is horrid so it may not be something most need,

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
another one with beer conotations, ouch my liver lol

you will need to google for a pic my descrption wont mean much.

I suppose this should be classed as a herb but not certain of this,

grows in marsh land, and theres a fair crop of it near where i live, so if you got any bog or marsh land near you, keep an eye out, because this plant is a loverly flavour enhancer, and superb for the brewers amongst you.
pick the leaves between april and july goes well in soups and stews and also good when used to add flavour to roasting meats, very good with the gamier meats, hare especially.

where it does grow it seems to thrive so if you got a crop near you put it in your diary and remember for next year and so on.(good idea for most finds)

ive got a set of four maps with all the local fruit trees plants etc ive found, but my memory is horrid so it may not be something most need,

I've just read that it can also be used as an insect repellent.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
cheers matt, ive read you can get a wax from it too to make candles but i think you would need ten saints patience and an awfully good crop,

i will give the insect repellant a try, hows it done do you just rub it on the skin, or?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A wee bogmyrtle tip is that if Toddy ever hands you a snifter of something and say's it's 80proof, check that it's not her insect repellent before drinking;). The aftertaste lasts for hours:eek:.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
i carry a blow up spa, jaccuzzi and a geisha girl in my pack matt, what you playing at lol.

good info mate the plants of this world never cease to provide

Mang

Settler
Marsh samphire

can be eaten raw if you like but better cooked

Ive read it can be pickled, but pickleing is still on my list of things to learn so not sure how best to do it.

best to squeeze the flesh out of the skin with the teeth whilst eating.

Used to eat tons of this when I lived in Skegness. Also known as Poor Man's Asparagus and Glasswort (Salicornia Europaea). Not sure about pickling but I guess it's good because the freshly cooked Samphire is delish with a dash of vinegar on. Best eaten by placing the whole stem in the mouth and pulling the flesh off with your lips.

Great thread idea BTW:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE