Ultimate cook set

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
i am going to buy these nesting billys and make my stove from these :D
leon

S orry ;) to say it might not be such a good idea, they're aluminium and fine over a wood fire so long as your carefull enough to not let them boil dry, A nice set as far as ally billys go but to actually make the stove out of one might be a bit risky.I use the small one with my homemade hoblow stove http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17516

Also be aware that the smallest one is somewhat wider than the 12cm billy you originally planned so if you try and usethe Ikea or Morrisons solutions they'll be packed inside the billy and need to be wrapped in something to stop soot and gunge getting on the inside of the billy.

Slightly reverse thinking here but if you've already go a Swedish army stove set why not just cut a stainless steel base for it to stand on ( maybe even a stainless steel fire grate to drop inside ) or at least keep it open as an idea incase you don't pull any of the other ideas off for lack of funds or time.

Actually it was your post here that set my mind onto trying to get something working with a Clikstand and wood ( as detailed here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22041) but I'm not that optomistic it'll work yet, I'll let you know if I get a chance in the next couple of weeks.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks, so im looking for something the same but made from stainless steel ?
got any links ? hopefully three nestings ones
leon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i am going to buy these nesting billys and make my stove from these :D
leon

They are copies of the "Bulldog" brand billy cans, I have a set thats over 40 years old and going strong, the intense heat of liquid fuel stoves and open fires have not affected them, a good choice, and much cheaper than zebra brand

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
S orry ;) to say it might not be such a good idea, they're aluminium and fine over a wood fire so long as your carefull enough to not let them boil dry, A nice set as far as ally billys go but to actually make the stove out of one might be a bit risky.

They seemed alright when I tested them out. The fire was quite intense too, but I can only evaluate them over a period of time. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what you mean about "risky" though.

Pablo.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
They seemed alright when I tested them out. The fire was quite intense too, but I can only evaluate them over a period of time. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what you mean about "risky" though.

Pablo.

I'm probably being a little overcautious but thinking of the ally melting/becoming pliable. Its one thing for a billy to become a little pliable but another if it's used as a firebox and supporting a pan with about a kilogram of food/water. Good to here yours is holding up though as it's a nice idea if it works over time.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I'm probably being a little overcautious but thinking of the ally melting/becoming pliable. Its one thing for a billy to become a little pliable but another if it's used as a firebox and supporting a pan with about a kilogram of food/water. Good to here yours is holding up though as it's a nice idea if it works over time.

Thanks Glen. I'll keep an eye on it.

Pablo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Pie dish for a wind shield, trangiaburner unit as a heat source, or make a pop can stove, and four six inch nails driven into the ground to give you your pot stand. Make sure you use it on cleared ground without any grass or leaves on it and you will have no problems. All of this will fit in a large zebra billy and a folding cup, spoon and lighter and maybe a small panda pops bottle of meths. Complete basic setup for next to nowtif you have the billy and burner unit already.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE