Ultimate cook set

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Well as some of you may know i am going on work experience with woodlore in 4 weeks :D
it is a self catering course and i am trying to think what i will do, i have a trangia i could use but i would like to make a cooking set up and use that instead
now this cooking set up must:
Be able to fit in a 12cm billy or if another larger container is used the billy and everything else could go in that.
it must use the trangia burner but also be able to use wood
i have a swedish army trangia, a 12 cm zebra billy, plus a garage and various tools
any ideas ?
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i need a long thin tube (prefferbly stainless) that has holes in and will fit tightly in my billy, then i suppose i need a clickstand aswell
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes ive seen it and it looks great, unfortunately none of the links in his first post work but so far on the shopping list are
A clickstand wind shield and a clickstand
leon

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Leon,

You could try this combo:

DSCN0207.jpg

You *could* use it as a woodstove but it might bend a bit with the heat. So cheap you could experimnet though. Also you could replace the rivets with wire. That will enable you to take the whole thing apart instead of just folding up.

Just a thought.

Pablo

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have one of them but i would prefer to make a hobo stove,
sorry i meant tub with holes in
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ikea is a bit of a journey from me so i will have a look around when im next in tescos:)
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Or take your billy into Tesco and buy a tin can a bit bigger than the billy (remember to leave handle room).

Then make the hobo stove from that

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will go to tecos with my billy and then get a pot that is a bit bigger thendrill lots of holes in it lol
i need to make a windshield and clickstand, any ideas ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If the billy will slide inside the can, make a set of holes at the top to slide 2 tent pegs through to sit the pan on. Use this when using the hobo stove with wood. Make another set so the billy sits lower in stove and just put the Trangia burner in the base of the hobo stove - no click stand required. Windshield - find some thick tin foil (pie dishes, serving platters etc.) and use a bent piece of that

Red

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
woolworths do have a cutllery drainer that will do the job and morrisons have stainless steel containers that are easy to turn into billycans for £2.99.this fits snugly into the drainer.look at waylands various threads on this subject and you will get idea.
having just put together a set like this on sunday i would say it is fairly easy to do.
litefoot.:)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
If the billy will slide inside the can, make a set of holes at the top to slide 2 tent pegs through to sit the pan on. Use this when using the hobo stove with wood. Make another set so the billy sits lower in stove and just put the Trangia burner in the base of the hobo stove - no click stand required. Windshield - find some thick tin foil (pie dishes, serving platters etc.) and use a bent piece of that

Red

Ditto that.

Was gonna say exactly the same as Red Leon, if you are using a hobo stove, there is no need for a clickstand, you are just carrying duplicates. A couple of tent pegs through the hobo stove at the right height and Bob's your proverbial.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I think I have those billy's leon, if they are the same ones they are good but made of Aluminium which wont take the heat very well if one is the stove.

Just a thought:(

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've been inspired by this thread and have just made myself this:

DSCN1048.jpg

You can see I also cut some disposable BBQ grill for the bottom of the stove for ventilation and so that the ashes fall through. The vent holes are at the rear of the stove. Needs a bit more refining.

I think Joker's right. It won't take sustained heat too well, but it did well enough to boil a 1 litre water in very quick time. We'll have to see if it lasts.

DSCN1052.jpg

DSCN1055.jpg

Pablo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE