UL Tarps for ground dweller - who makes or sells them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I am thinking that I need a smaller and lighter tarp for UL backpacking with a bivvy. I am used to an 8' square sil-nylon tarp but at a little over 600g is too big and heavy. Just wondered if anyone knows of a maker or retailer that has something good. I'd obviously spend as little as I could get away with to get what I want / need but not got a budget in mind nor a limit (within reason).

I know about BPL-UK (sold out), Alpkit (not much different from my existing tarp), Team IO (heard some negatives over the last 6 months or 1 year which used to be unusual for them) and the canoeing tarp manufacturers (way too heavy). I think there are quite a few US ones such as MLD but does anyone recommend somewhere? Never bought online from USA indeed only ever bought in GBP£ from UK online stores so not too sure about it.

Any recommendations?

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I am thinking that I need a smaller and lighter tarp for UL backpacking with a bivvy. I am used to an 8' square sil-nylon tarp but at a little over 600g is too big and heavy. Just wondered if anyone knows of a maker or retailer that has something good. I'd obviously spend as little as I could get away with to get what I want / need but not got a budget in mind nor a limit (within reason).

I know about BPL-UK (sold out), Alpkit (not much different from my existing tarp), Team IO (heard some negatives over the last 6 months or 1 year which used to be unusual for them) and the canoeing tarp manufacturers (way too heavy). I think there are quite a few US ones such as MLD but does anyone recommend somewhere? Never bought online from USA indeed only ever bought in GBP£ from UK online stores so not too sure about it.

Any recommendations?

Pm coln18 he has dealt with MLD and has a lot of their kit , and the utra light tarp is a topper

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The z-packs tarps are well reguarded, check them out. They use a slightly heavier cuben than MLD I believe, probably more practical for our climate and weather.
Edit; Wrong way round, my mistake, MLD tarps are the heavier ones.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well Cuben Fibre tarps, cat tarps, hybrids, tents and pyramids all interest me. What doesn't is the $200 or more price tag. Think I will settle for the £45 BPL-UK tarps when they come into stock.

Any other manufacturers?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Got one of the BPL solo tarps. Top kit, very well made and designed. Been out of stock for ages though, shame as they are well worth buying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE