UK's Favourite Tree

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Is there a woodsy-type person out there that knows of a use for Leyland Cypress, other than as landfill ?
I've just given mine its two-yearly kicking, and am left with a few large lumps that will otherwise be tarring up my chimney. There was a fair amount of resin on the severed ends; but it doesn't seen to take a flame as well as other conifers (this was not a scientific experiment, before anyone corrects me on its BTU value: I just fired a lighter at a piece before throwing it onto the growing log pile).

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
How about experimenting with getting oil out of it?

Stick with me...

Big Ray Mears did this with pine tree stumps and the like on two of his programmes - one to get turps (or something) out to put on his wooden skis, and one to extract oil from birch (I think).

So, you still get the fun of burning stuff and you can extract something sticky and potentially useless. I don't know what you'd get out of your tree.

Ta-da!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Quite surprisingly I don’t have anything useful to suggest in this case but the title of the thread gives me an idea for another!

Cheers

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Scanker,
Forgive my forum manners: I obviously didn't search for long enough before posting.

Klenchblaize,
Forgive my misdirection. Since you ask, yew. Or maybe birch. Of course, there's oak, as well; and beech. Too difficult: anything but sycamore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE