UK Woodscraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
MoT - I think the idea of a fixed blade knife is really a modern one in Woodcraft and especially British woodcraft, where over centuries of developing and excelling at coppicing, our Woodsmen were using quite specific tools for their trade.

I believe that a man of the woods would have a pocket knife about his person. And that this would have been ample for all his non-agricultural tasks.

A Churri could have been quite common place. Many of the Romany community made a wage as charcoal burners and seasonal woods workers up and down the country.

Certainly in the 19th century this was taking place. You can often see evidence of managed, coppiced and plantation woodland containing a small area of grazing, enough to sustain a cob for at least a few days, perfect for hosting such migrant workers, of both the two and four legged variety.

Although the fixed blade By Rodgers shown were popular, and down clearly remember them fondly, it is worth noting that these were primarily produced for the US export market (arguably the life-blood of Sheffield's cutlery industry).

The antler handled knife, is base upon the Marbles Ideal hunting knife, introduced around the turn of the 1900's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Man of Tanith

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I grew up in the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk fens being born in 1962 I caught the beginning of mechanisation and the end of a lot of hand work. From what I remember, everyone who worked on the land, and most other folk, carried a single bladed folder of some sort - referred to as your "shut-knife". They were used for anything and everything light duty such as onion wringing, cutting string, eating your "dockey" (that's your packed lunch when working on the land), game prep in the shooting season etc etc. Often sharpened, seldom cleaned! Multi blade knives were scorned as being hard on the hand if you used them all day. My dad carried a Taylors Eye Witness most of his life, until the blade was snapped by my brother treading on it. Then he switched to an opinel.
Any job that needed a heavier cutting tool there seemed to be a specific tool for like a billhook and slasher for hedge work and clearing scrub, a beet hook for topping sugar beet, little reaping hooks and the like. Most of them seemed to be quite old, even back then. I still have a few things from clearing my father's shed, but sad to say lots of those old tools just went in the scrap.

Hope the above rambling makes some sort of sense.

Dave

Reactions: Toddy and scruff

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Actually, thinking about it, every single teacher at my primary school in our village (Little Downham), had a pen knife in their desk drawers, for sharpening our pencils.
I have to say I'm enjoying this thread, it's really brought some memories flooding back.
Although I'm a huge fan of the SAK in it's many forms, these days I quite often carry an Eye Witness lambfoot with the black delrin fake antler scales, its more than adequate for most things I need a blade for unless I'm crafting.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
This is the chiefs pen knife and now mine
I dont know if the scouts had a generic knife? Mind i know there wasnt a scout troop in Bromham when he was of the age to join so i doubt he would of had one specifically from his time in the scoutsView attachment 47452

You probably know this already - Bromham (Beds) now has its own Scout campsite, and very good it is too!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Interesting how the our travelling brothers fixed the wooden handle on to the tang.
I will try it.

Also, interesting they used an "eating" knife as base. I was not aware of those being hardened and tempered.

Gives us another perspective on the blade thickness, as those knives are even thinner than an old Swedish knife (made in Mora and elsewhere)!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I'm not that old but the old boy's of the woods I knew carried a billhook and army jack knife or a single blade pocket knife, my step father a bowie, and for me my first was a SAK like single blade and then a scout knife like wicca posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Man of Tanith

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Interesting thread

I had one of these in my pocket most of the time when i was growing up in the 70s and 80s

It was given to me by my dad, who carried it when he was a lad too

Can't remember what happened to it....shame really, good little penknife at the time
7466cf85141585f641d5a7226bfeaa10.jpg
df03951f2d4e96b07e74d13ef18daffb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Interesting thread this. I think there are two questions being answered here

1. As the OP what belt knife was used years ago (at least partly for recreation)

2. What did working men use day to day

I think the belt knife ruled up until pocket knives became cheap enough for anyone to own.
Then for most folks (just as today) a folder will perform 99% of everyday cutting tasks and is just more handy to carry

The roger's scout knife and similar was for hobbyists and enthusiasts

The romany knife is just what most poor folk would have had....an old kitchen knife modded to suit

So if we are looking for a common mans belt knife from 100 years ago then the most authentic source would be either the scabbiest knife in the your kitchen drawer or the best one you can find at a car boot sale for pennies

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
So if we are looking for a common mans belt knife from 100 years ago then the most authentic source would be either the scabbiest knife in the your kitchen drawer or the best one you can find at a car boot sale for pennies

My Grandfather was a 'common' man but he had a decent knife for his hunting, fishing and outdoor activities. He'd had it since the 30's and was quite proud of it and delighted in my interest in it (50 years ago).

I was given my first 'belt' knife when I was about 12. An old gentleman then, who must have been a scout between the wars, gave me the knife which was sadly lost on a camp trip. It was a fairly plain, straight wood handled, through tan knife with a brass guard. Again, that was a decent knife and certainly not something made from a piece of cutlery. OK, he was a Methodist Reverend but still not well off.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My Grandfather was a 'common' man but he had a decent knife for his hunting, fishing and outdoor activities. He'd had it since the 30's and was quite proud of it and delighted in my interest in it (50 years ago).

I was given my first 'belt' knife when I was about 12. An old gentleman then, who must have been a scout between the wars, gave me the knife which was sadly lost on a camp trip. It was a fairly plain, straight wood handled, through tan knife with a brass guard. Again, that was a decent knife and certainly not something made from a piece of cutlery. OK, he was a Methodist Reverend but still not well off.

Yep, as i say those are recreational knives. A modern comparison would be you or i having a nice bushy knife or folder for days out and a jobbing builder having a stanley somewhere in his tool box

A reverend might not be wealthy but he certainly wouldn't have been poor. I was talking about romany people....some of them lived near subsistence lifestyles

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, as i say those are recreational knives. A modern comparison would be you or i having a nice bushy knife or folder for days out and a jobbing builder having a stanley somewhere in his tool box

A reverend might not be wealthy but he certainly wouldn't have been poor. I was talking about romany people....some of them lived near subsistence lifestyles

I don't think my Grandfather saw it as 'recreational'; most of the meat that was on their table was from his night-time activities. It was a working knife to him.

But yes, I agree, people with need had a skill of making useful stuff out of nothing (also points to the folly of some of our knife laws but let's not get into that on this thread :) ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE