UK Woodscraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Broch, ok yep some folks had different things to what i said :)

I wouldn't dismiss 'outdoor' knives that have been made from cutlery as something less than decent though. Factories hardly made crappy stuff in those days. It would have been good steel with a strong handle....all you need for a decent knife.
A modded kitchen knife was good enough for nessmuk, we are still copying it today after all.....samon has just made a knife for me out of a 100 year old misery whip. Brass guard and antler handle, its a thing of beauty

Reactions: Janne
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Good point sunndog cutlers reworked many a good caver, butchers knife to a hunting blade or the like, I've done it to my granddad's bread knife when I had nothing, it made a very good all rounder, I was also given to thinking why a lot of Victorian caving sets lack the main knife, anybody else heard of this?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too have turned an old, worn out bread knife into a general utility knife - god steel is good steel and not to be wasted!
I am sure old time knife users thought the same...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest I've reworked an old Sabatier into a 'bushy' style knife :)
My Mum had a habit of dropping them onto the tiled floor and breaking the point. It was the only knife steel I had access to for a while!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
When you think about it the most common method of knife making for artisan makers these days is stock removal.....thats not really very different at all from reshaping an exsisting knife

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
When you think about it the most common method of knife making for artisan makers these days is stock removal.....thats not really very different at all from reshaping an exsisting knife

True. But if you're not sure what the steel is it's difficult to get the heat treatment exactly right - but then, who needs exact? :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
True. But if you're not sure what the steel is it's difficult to get the heat treatment exactly right - but then, who needs exact? :)

If its already a good knife you'd only need to heat treat if you destroyed its current temper while doing the modding. Years ago the modding would have almost certainly been done with hand tools so they wouldn't have worried about temper

Theres a challenge and a half.......blue a piece of steel with a hand file!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Dunno about that - I did once get an abrafile to go through blue then snap cutting some 10 gauge stainless steel sheet.

Dave

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When I lived in Swedish Lappland years ago, I wanted to buy a ‘Lapp knife’, in todays PC times called a Same knife.
My Same boys told me not to as most blades were made from old barell hopps and needed constant sharpening.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Sunndog - I already know the answer to that one! I've spent way too long on the blister end of engineers files of all shapes and sizes.
All the best.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE